Clear all

Choice for electric

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was picking up some strings today and decided to make myself drool over the electrics (I play acoustic). Since I feel like spending money I really don't have and can't afford, these are the two guitars I've brought it down to....

Used MIM Strat. Looks and feels in pretty good shape. No noticable damage, at least from my quick look over. They have it listed at $300.

Squier Fat Tele, played pretty good, sounded good. Listed at $250.

Now, what this descision comes down to is, which is the better value, is the Squier a bigger risk of falling victim to shody electronics, etc.

And because I know someone will ask....I plan on playing a variety of stuff from Radiohead to Zeppelin to Phish (at least that style which is played with a hollow body) so I need a versitile sound. I know that's what Strats are famous for but the tele has a single coil and a bucker.

Which one? They play about equal to me, so I need some input.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

(@Anonymous)

From what little I know about guitars...don't sell the Squier short. I haven't heard too many complaints about them. To be honest I never heard of a MIM Strat so I don't know what they go for new nor sound like.

I guess it comes down to how do YOU feel playing each of them? Which guitar just gave you that "vibe" when you know its the one for you? (Man, listen to me...after 5 weeks I sound like a guitar player!!)

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

MIM strat just means, Made in Mexico.

Strats can also have a single coil and a humbucker. From what I've heard, the MIM strats are worth it. Squier strats aren't bad either, but you will want to upgrade sooner or later. I say start big, that way you don't NEED to upgrade. Why spend 350 bucks on a guitar, when 2 years later your going to get a 1200 dollar one anyways. Might as well just get the 1200 dollar one now.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

MIM strat just means, Made in Mexico.

Strats can also have a single coil and a humbucker. From what I've heard, the MIM strats are worth it. Squier strats aren't bad either, but you will want to upgrade sooner or later. I say start big, that way you don't NEED to upgrade. Why spend 350 bucks on a guitar, when 2 years later your going to get a 1200 dollar one anyways. Might as well just get the 1200 dollar one now.

Im not sure how old you are, but did you have 1200 when you were in college? I sure don't and I'd like to expand my collection (ok, Im GASing really bad here) so I have more options when Im jamming with buddies.

And yes, the MIM means Made in Mexico. It is a Fender.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

With such a small price difference I'd go with the used MIM strat, although ofcourse I haven't seen either one. Since MIM strats start new around $375 or so you might want to talk the price down a bit (or ask for some goodies like strings, gigbag, discount on one of their amps etc). In any case, both guitars should serve you well, assuming they are what they are supposed to be.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I hear where you're coming from dl. Good luck with whatever you buy.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

The strat will have a little better resale value, even a MIM. But the Squier Tele having a single coil and a Humbucker could right off the bat offer a little more tonal differences for you. At those prices, whichever one looks better to you since they both play about the same for you. I generally prefer a humbucker sound, but that's just me. At some point, I will find a 3-single coil guitar that screams at me to buy it, cause I really need to get one. My three guitars were factory with dual humbuckers.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

That MIM strat is overpriced, should be around $ 250

Check out current prices on ebay...

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

That MIM strat is overpriced, should be around $ 250

Check out current prices on ebay...

I realize it's a little hefty, but most guitars at this shop are. Im going to try to talk him down on both, but I don't mind paying a little more because the guy stands behind everything he sells. They put a lifetime (actual lifetime) guaruntee on their gear and if anything goes wrong they'll fix it without charging for labor. I've found that invaluable living in a place where the climate changes constantly and I need a setup every 4 months or so. Save nearly $120 a year alone on that.

ReplyQuote