Notifications
Clear all

Choosing an electric guitar for oldies band

16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@majorbobl)
Topic starter  

Auditioning for an oldies band and looking for a new guitar. Will be playing rhythm (no lead what so ever). Considering a Fender Telecaster, but will consider other options. Currently have an Epi Dot 335 (a little too heavy). Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Depends on what you consider "oldies"...... Are you talking Everly Brothers, Hendrix, Cougar, Culture Club or Nirvana? "Oldies" is a little vague, but I genreally think you should choose the guitar you are most comfortrable playing and then adjust your gear to match the style of music.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@majorbobl)
Topic starter  

The band plays 50's & 60's stuff, 8 pieces w/ sax and horns, keyboards, lead and bass. No hard rock stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

If you look at what many of the bands played back in the 50's a Tele would be my first choice. You could also get a hollowbody like the Gibson 335 (more affordably a clone of this like an Ibanez Artcore). The 60's music you would have to be more specific as to what type of music. You have the Hendrix-style (which I don't think you are refering to), The Doors style, The Beatles, etc.

When I hear the term oldies I think Elvis, Buddy Holly, The Everly Brothers, Bill Haley & the Comets, Chuck Berry, etc.

ReplyQuote
(@majorbobl)
Topic starter  

Thanks mike for the info. You got it right, no hard rock stuff, elvis, beatles, etc. Currently have the epi dot (cheaper version of the gibson dot 335), but want something that's lighter to hand on to.

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

I think the Tele would be a great choice.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@mcrkid22)

lol Les Pauls are always good for oldies

"Rawk!"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Telecaster, Strat, Jaguar, Jazzmaster.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

I would have said the Dot was perfect, I didn't think they were that heavy, maybe you just need a nice wider strap?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I just bought one of the Ibanez thinline hollowbody Artcore series with a Bigsby trem for my boy. It's a sweet guitar. Big, but not heavy. Nice sounding and playing instrument. And you couldn't beat the Seafoam Green for a look from that era.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

If you're thinking lighter is better don't even think about a Les Paul. My Epi is heavier than a 9 pound hammer.....Like others have said 100 times before try before you buy, Tele or whatever. Better yet go to a guitar store and try out all different kinds. My Ibanez Artcore AG75 hollwbody is light and has dual humcubkers like the LP, don't know if it is image or sound you are going for but try one you'll like it! I also like oldies and it seems to perform just fine
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

What about a swamp ash tele or something like that. Teles are rather heavy, but they're so amazing. If you could find a swamp ash one, it would be perfect, they're real light.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The Artcores are a great suggestion.

These are also great, reasonably-price guitars. Modern construction with retro looks to mimic key features of Gretch, Fender and Gibby:

http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/guitars.html

I own one of the original "formica" construction versions. Very please with the look, feel and vibe. Reverend looks really standout for stage presence. You'll have everyone wondering what that cool oldie guitar is.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well if you are playing in a 50's- 60's band and want a guitar that looks the part, and is super-light too, you should check out Danelectro. These are probably the lightest guitars out there, made from a plywood frame covered by masonite. But don't think they don't have great tone, they have been used by many great players like Jimmy Page and Elvis Costello.

I own a Dano, and it sounds pretty great IMHO.

Danelectro Guitars

And they absolutely have that retro look. :wink:

Even Stevie Ray had a Dano

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@majorbobl)
Topic starter  

Thanks to all for your input. I went with the tele american. Got a great deal and it sounds great too.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2