Clear all

Choosing Strings & Things

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Teak
(@teak)
Topic starter  

Let me appologize upfront for a question that must have been asked a thousand times, but searching through archives has been unelightening.

Two years into serious study and it's finally beginning to sound something like music. I'm at the point where I am trying to develop a sound and style (other than muddy and haphazard :wink: ). I've decided to change the electronics on my Ibanez AF85 (hollowbody with a good mid and bass response, want to boost the mid a bit and brighten) to DiMarzio's Fred in the bridge and Air Norton in the neck. I'm going to raise the action 2cm (if i have an accurate concept of the measurements involved). I am thinking of trying flatwound guitar strings, for no other reason than their association with jazz guitarists. Which leads me to my question...

What kind of tone will flatwound strings give me? What kind of control will they demand? Are they more challenging? Is it a good idea to have a higher action with flatwounds (iirc the only flatwounds I have seen are mediums, and I also thought to go for heavies). Do they work well with bottlenecks or brass?

... Life was so much easier when all I had to worry about were scales and chords.

And in case it matters, I've discovered I like playing at the 5th and 8/9th positions (in most keys) with leads at the 12th. Anymore I use a practiced hybrid technique so i pick the trebles with my m/a/x fingers and flatpick my leads. What's more, this is the guitar I plan to play live (of which I am scared to death), though I am slowly putting together a computer recording system (because I think it would make a great learning tool -- wish I had it when I began) and would like to be as versatile as possible. I haven't chosen a gig amp yet, but am thinking about a blackface combo though part of me wants to go for a head (again versatility). So am I making good decisions or are my choices wholly incompatible?

Thanx in advance,
Teak

(@alangreen)

AFAIK flatwound strings will remove the squeak you get from string slides at the expense of destroying any hope of decent tone totally.

Best A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

If you're playing jazz, you'll probably like the sound,but IIRC they are mellower than the regular roundwounds not brighter. For slide it's personal preference, you'll just have to experiment.
You may have to adjust the neck relief and nut slot holes if you're making a big jump in guage.

I would think raising the action 2cm is closer to lap style than bottleneck slide ...
Have you looked at Nils's site?
If you're looking for good cleans you should be happy with Blackface. There are cheaper options like the Hot Rod Deluxe, but if you have the money go ahead.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

unless you have a jazz box style guitar please stay away from flatwounds.

jazz players like those strings because they shorten the sustain. that way the quick arppeggios and fast note runs they do dont blend together.

I like half rounds. great tone and not much finger shifting noise.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Teak
(@teak)
Topic starter  

I like half rounds. great tone and not much finger shifting noise.

I have looked at half wounds (D'Addario jazz med and hvy bottom) but I figured they wouldn't mean anything to me without first trying the flatwounds. Though a hybrid choice is usually the better unless you fit neatly into the parent.

ReplyQuote
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

I kind of like that little finger shifting noise. It makes things sound kind of gritty and "real"/passionate to me.

ReplyQuote