Clear all

Chord melody observation

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I've been practicing a Steve kaufman chord melody tab of amazing grace. Every once in a while I would hit an extra string when trying to pick a single note. At first I stopped and started over again because of these mistakes. Then I noticed, hey, that didn't sound all that bad. So I relaxed and just played it through not worrying about hiting any extra strings. The extra notes don't seem to take away from the sound of the piece. In some ways it makes it sound more interesting. Just an observation of a fairly new player.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

If you are interested, Mr. Hodge just released Amazing Grace

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

If you are interested, Mr. Hodge just released Amazing Grace

Yes I am interested, infact I've been working on that one two, but it doesn't lend itself to flat picking so I use the Kaufman tab to practice that.

Tim Madsen

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Amazing grace holds a unique place in music history, at least here in the UK .......it's the only song that's ever been No. 1 as an accapella version (ie all singing, no instruments) - by Judy Collins......and as an instrumental version(with no singing whatsoever...), i.e by The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards Band....think that's the bagpipe version David mentioned in the lesson......

I have a version of this by Rod Stewart somewhere, with Ronnie Wood playing slide guitar........!!!!!

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

I find the same deal when I'm playing it, I just start and end each chord like it's written, and play around in the middle

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@badlands53)
Trusted Member

Amazing Grace is such a well known song, once you start out with the melody notes and let the people know that's what you're playing, you have a lot of freedom and it will still be recognized as Amazing Grace.

Well, if you can't make it, stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive, if you can, and meet me in a dream of this hard land.

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

If everyone played it how it was written every time...where would we be?

Kido

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If everyone played it how it was written every time...where would we be?

Kido
If I had to play everything the way it is written I wouldn't know any songs :lol: :oops:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

flat picking?

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

flat picking?

It's a term for playing using that triangular shaped plastic thing to sound the strings. It's used most often by bluegrass players.

Tim Madsen

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

flat picking?

It's a term for playing using that triangular shaped plastic thing to sound the strings. It's used most often by bluegrass players.
Wait a minute here...does anyone else see something weird in this? Flat picking is just using a pick...like a fender medium...right? Most commonly bluegrass players? Dont most people use a pick??

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Wait a minute here...does anyone else see something weird in this? Flat picking is just using a pick...like a fender medium...right? Most commonly bluegrass players? Dont most people use a pick??

Kido

Yes flatpicking is just using a pick "like a fender medium." The term flatpicking is used (I wouild say) most often by players of bluegrass/country music. As for if most people use a pick I can't say. I almost never use one, but I mainly play Oldtime Mountain Gospel music. Which I play either by strumming with my thumb or by Carter style, neither of which require a pick. Some people do play Carter style with a thumb pick but it isn't necessary. And there are some who play Carter style with a flat pick, but the people I learned from wouldn't use one.

Tim Madsen

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm pretty lost with a flat pick. I normally use my bare fingers or use a set of fingerpicks and thumbpick.

A thumbpick can nicely sub for a flatpick, if you grasp it between the index finger and thumb.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote