Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi:

I'm working on Spirit of Radio by Rush. In the verse you play this:

G: 4
D: 4
A: 2
E: 4

An online Chord namer says it's a G#M7 but I have no idea. Is there some kind of chord substitution I could use that sounds "good enough" to get you by and still hit the open high e & b which follow? I've tried going for just the E on the 4th and the A on the 2nd, but it doesn't sound right. Adding the D on the 4th still doesn't sound great.

I'm getting pretty much the whole song (minus the lead!) but this chord eats me up. Just looking for a way to get by.

Thanx for your help!

John

(@johntlewis)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Sorry, I want to post a tab link to the song in case you want to see it:

The chord in question is in the first line of the verse.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/r/rush/spirit_of_radio_ver2_tab.htm

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

In the context of the song, it's technically a Bsus4/G# but you should really think of it as a B power chord (that's the x244xx) part with the G# (fourth fret of the low E) in the bass that also used the drone of the open high E and B strings for embellishment (it's a running motif in the song).

Your best bet as a substitution, believe it or not, is simply to play it without using the G# note on the low E string, just as you do in the previous chord. That will work fine. And, if you're playing with a bass player, he or she will probably end up playing that note anyway.

Hope this helps. And welcome to Guitar Noise, by the way. Hope to continue to see you around on the Forums.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@johntlewis)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Mr. Hodge:

Thank you for your response! That opens it up so that I can see the song clearly now! It's amazing how understanding some of the theory behind it helps you to be able to play it better! It does with me anyway.

While I'm here I thought I would tell you that several years ago I went through every one of your podcasts and basically learned the all of the basics through you. You are a great teacher! I still play Puff The Magic Dragon all the time!

John

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hi John

Glad to be of help and thank you so much for your kind words. We're lucky at Guitar Noise to have quite a few great guitar teachers stopping in regularly at the forums to answer questions, not to mention all our other members who might not be teachers by profession but certainly are teachers in spirit - giving generously of their experience and knowledge. You should always feel good about asking questions here.

And, just so you know, please call me "David." I appreciate the respect that "Mr. Hodge" implies but the truth is that whenever I read it I think that someone is addressing my dad! :wink:

Be seeing you around on the Forums!

Peace

ReplyQuote