Chord Suggestion

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Learning Kari Jobe's I'm Singing. I am having a REALLY hard time going from F# (2-4-4-3-2-2) to a C#/F (X-X-3-1-2-1), any suggestion on a different way to do the C#/F that would make it an easier transition. The rest of the song is coming along pretty decent.

Also, and its get a little deeper here, the part I am learning right now is the main guitar part. But if I wanted to play the song in a different voicing, kind of strumming along with the rhythm dude, then would I look for the same chords higher on the neck and play those? Is that start.. LOL

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@davidhodge)

What key is the song in and what are the rest of the chords?

If you wanted to do something higher up on the neck, putting a capo on the sixth fret would mean that F# would be your "normal" C (X32010) and "C#/F" would be G/B (x20003 or x20033). Of course, the rest of the chords might be a pain, but there's no way of telling without knowing what they are.

Plus, you might already know some easy C and G chord types of fills...

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I am not totally sure, but I think its in F#. Thats what the song starts in.. I know its not always true.

The other chords are
F#, B, D#m, C#, C#sus2, C#/F, G#m, and B/F#

Thanks for the advice.. I was trying to figure out where the put the capo or if I could even use it.. but bleh.. I couldnt figure it out.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Based on the chords, F# is a good bet. As for capo use, you've got all sorts of options:

Capo 6:
C = F#
F = B
Am = D#m
G = C#
Gsus2 (thinking you probably want Gadd9 - 320203) =C#sus2
G/B (x20003) = C#/F
Dm = G#m
F/C (x33211) = B/F#

Capo 4:
D = F#
G = B
Bm = D#m
A = C#
Asus2 (x02200) =C#sus2
A/C# (x42220) = C#/F
Em = G#m
G/D (xx0003) = B/F#

And if you want the very high range:
Capo 9:
A = F#
D = B
F#m = D#m
E = C#
Esus2 (thinking you probably want Eadd9 - 022102) =C#sus2
E/G# (422100) = C#/F (and yes, that's a pain but still doable high up on the neck)
Bm = G#m
D/A (x00232) = B/F#

I'm assuming that you're not playing with horn players. Don't know many who would play in G# without a murderous thought or two :wink:

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks so much David. I really like the capo 4 version. I think I remember seeing a GN lesson on the use of a capo and transposing.. i really need to learn to do that for myself.. It seems that I am drawn to the easier funner things of playing guitar... and then the hard things that would make me a better guitarist, I fall flat on.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Also, and its get a little deeper here, the part I am learning right now is the main guitar part. But if I wanted to play the song in a different voicing, kind of strumming along with the rhythm dude, then would I look for the same chords higher on the neck and play those? Is that start.. LOL

Jim, another thing to consider is arpeggiating the chords, whether you're playing higher up the neck or not, while the other guy is strumming rhythm. Watch the sample video on the following page; it should be right up your alley as you take on the lead guitar role:
http://www.leadworship.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=54

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

HEY, I just remembered. I own that video. I never watched it though cause I was like.. eh. I cant play that. This was back when I first started. Actually mine is 3 years earlier.

Awesome. Thanks

Had my guitar lesson tonight and we went over that songs and bounced around ideas.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

You know, I don't remember exactly, but it's very possible I heard about that video from you! :lol:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote