Clear all

Circle Picking

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Anyone do this or try it...I've been playing with it a bit. Its hard to just use your fingers after your using to picking from the wrist. Gives a cool and different tone from regular picking.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Some explanations I've read say to use fingers (in a circular movement) plus the wrist to double one's picking speed. I find it uncomfortable.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

Well when I am trying to pick my fastest (I think I have heard the term tremolo picking although I don't think that's correct) , I am using using a wrist-arm combo for picking. Although when picking otherwise I use circle picking. I find that it gives me more control.

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Yeah, tremolo picking is the correct term. It's also the original meaning of "tremolo", and if you said "tremolo" to a classical musician, they would think rapid notes, almost like a trill.

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

this may be a stupid question but what is circle picking? sounds interesting

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Alternate picking where the point of the pick moves in a circle instead of back and forth. In theory it's faster, because the pick never stops moving to reverse direction. Like Greg, I find it awkward... good alternate picking/economy picking techniques will get you plenty of speed, and circle picking doesn't seem a good fit for a lot of the stuff I do (string crossings, etc)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

Its strange, but I find I do it naturally, especially when sweep picking. But only at extreme tempos. as soon as i notice that im doing it tho, i mess up. oh well.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@mr-mervyn)
Eminent Member

Dick Dale is the god of tremolo picking!!

Cheers.

Better shred than dead.

ReplyQuote