Clear all

Classic Blues Song List Help... Female singer

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Okay, we have a new singer and she might just be the reincarnation of Janis Joplin (I will get you all a sample, its sick how much power she has) but we have a bit of a problem. She's from a Karaoke background and has little to no practical band situation experience. Her timing needs work since she always plays to studio stuff.

What she didn't struggle with were songs she has never heard before. With no blues background, Pride and Joy was perfect for her. Problem with that is several band mates don't want to play pride and joy for fear of looking like fools playing a SRV signature tune (I know he didn't write it, but let's face it, when you play that song, people compare you to stevie. See All Along the Watchtower as another shining example of a cover that became the new reference)

So, I have looked into my itunes library for songs and although I have a plethora, nothing really rung my bell. So, if you please, point me to some classic 12 bar based tunes (keys of A, G, B, C, Don't crush me with a F# or anything) that are pretty straightforward progression-wise that aren't Man Only tunes (Before you Accuse Me being an example, it can be modified to come from a female perspective, but it labored to say the least that way)

Sorry if this seems like a lazy request, I am not trying to be lazy, I am just tight on time and I know many of you will rip stuff off your head in seconds. And we have a deadline of sorts... Otherwise, the crazy "other" guitar player will come up with answers and trust me, nothing good will come of that.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jimbo

(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Google Odetta, Bessie Smith, and grab some of their tunes (sorry not thinking of any title right now).

Robert Johnson's Love in Vain s, as far as I can recall, gender neutral.

Ella Fitzgerald's I'd Rather Go Blind is pretty bluesy, tho not a twelve bar. In fact, you could pinch a fair few from her.

Nina Simone - Nobody's Fault But Mine, Love Me Or Leave Me (More jazzy than blues, but still feasible), Mood Indigo (as per LMOLM), Feelin' Good, Aint Got No - I Got Life, and there's a whole bunch of stuff by her that is straight up 12 bar, but I'm not thinking of their names right now. Sorry, its fairly late where I am.

Little By Little - Buddy Guy. Susan Tedeschi did a cover of this (actually just youtube/google Susan Tedeschi cos she's got a load of bluesy stuff, I have the alb Just Wont Burn and can recommend it). Also google/youtube Debbie Davies - she cut a blues alb with Double Trouble (SRV) that's really good and has her covering Willie Dixon's Walkin'.

I might post more in the morning.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A crowd pleaser for a female blues singer is "You Can Have My Husband, But Please Don't Mess With My Man." I think Irma Thomas first recorded that.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'd rather go blind is an awesome song. (I think it's Etta James who did it, wasn't it?)

But awesome recommendations. I needed someone to rattle my cage a bit. I kept looking at song lists and seeing NOTHING although I knew there was some gold. You guys did the trick.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Koko Taylor does fantastic renditions of Howlin Wolf songs. 'Wang Dang Doodle" is killer.

also, look for Etta James work. she is great.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

Big Momma Thorton did an awesome version of Hound Dog too. Don't know if you're looking for something like that. She might want to do Joplin's version of Cry Cry Baby if she's got that kind of voice. Just suggesting is all.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

"When the Levee Breaks" - Memphis Minnie

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Big Momma Thorton did an awesome version of Hound Dog too.
The original. Way better than Elvis'.

As for Koko Taylor and Howlin' Wolf songs, I have a female blues singer friend who does a killer version of "Little Red Rooster."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

Ooo...I was listening to Clapton's From the Cradle today and I thought "Someday After a While" song might be good. I don't think it's gender specific and it's a nice slow groaning style blues that might fit what you're looking for. I hope it's a good idea.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

sorry, that just indicates how late it was when I was typing....I did mean Etta James, but musta been too tired, lol.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote