Classical guitar

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
 Oric
(@oric)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

After observing videos of people such as John Williams and Segovia playing classical guitar, I've become very interested in it.
Only thing- I don't have a classical guitar, and don't have spare instrument-buying income right now.
Is it OK to play classical on a steel-string acoustic until I become rich enough to afford a titanium classical guitar?
Any hints on style, and how it's supposed to be played?
Where can I find relatively easy music?

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Yes, you could play music written for classical guitar on a steel string.

Style: that's usually embedded in the pieces themselves. And as far as playing, It's finger style, using thumb, index, middle and ring fingers to pluck the notes while you fret the notes with your other hand. I don't know if this is too simplistic for you though.

Anyhow, here's a link to some sheet music:

http://www.musicaviva.com/guitar/all.tpl

You might also want to check out Frederick Noad's instructional books. I learned from them and they go pretty slow and easy.

Best regards.

ReplyQuote
(@sam334)
Trusted Member

http://tinyurl.com/y62fbd

Some good stuff on there too. I prefer to get tab books that come with a cd...

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

You 'can' play classical piece on a steel string guitar, but you won't get the feeling.

Secondly fingerstyle playing will be so easier in the wider spaced strings on a classical guitar.

Therefore, invest in a reasonably priced classical guitar.They are infact many no-name brand which go for 70-100 $.A Yamaha may cost you around 150 $ (and yamaha classical guitars are really good for starting.)

For more info on classical guitar, go to Mr.Delcamp's great forum -

http://www.delcamp.net/forum/en/index.php

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

I play classical guitar on my guitar lessons. I'm starting to prefer it over the electric, it sounds much better on it's own than an electric.

It's cool how Aguado, Carulli and those guys wrote music with base notes, melody and rythm being played on one guitar at the same time.

I only play on a cheap nylon string guitar for now, and it works fine for me.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@soundsgood)
Trusted Member

my yamaha classical has been a great guitar,i don't think i payed much over $100 for it.try finding a used one,they are alot of fun,

gibsonSG standard/gallagher"doc watson" acoustic

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

We've managed to find a number of classical guitars, usually in good shape, at garage sales, moving sales and the like for anywhere from $20 to $50. The Yamaha I bought for $100 back in 1990 is still going strong but nothing compared to my girlfriend's, which she bought in the late 1970's for maybe $65 or so. They last forever, it seems.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Oric,

I agree, Andrés Segovia is one of the better guitarists. He created new techniques for classical guitar and it is wonderful to see as he played a 12-strings guitar or when he played some Bach transcriptions. Narciso Yepes is another great classical guitarist.

Here, the people used to play the Romance anónimo as one of their first songs. It is a great composition and very easy. Even I can play it! :)

Nuno

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Delcamp has already been mentioned - there's video available there too, as well as the forum pages, sheet music and a lot of sound files.

"Youtube" has got a lot of Segovia/ Williams/Bream et al video - and there's certainly enough there to give you the basics about sitting position and right hand technique, but you'd benefit from a few hours with a teacher to get you rolling.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 Oric
(@oric)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Believe me, I know fully of the magic of Youtube. I'm not really in the position to get a teacher, I'm a good self-learner. I already know how to read music, and I have experience with guitar and bass (although I haven't played the former in forever... need to get back in practice)

ReplyQuote
(@smcclure)
Trusted Member

Believe me, I know fully of the magic of Youtube. I'm not really in the position to get a teacher, I'm a good self-learner. I already know how to read music, and I have experience with guitar and bass (although I haven't played the former in forever... need to get back in practice)

I started lessons 6 weeks ago. My teacher has two books he likes to teach out of. The one I am using is Frederick Noad Solo Guitar Playing. The ISBN is 0825694000 if you want to find it at your favorite store. The first 7 lessons are various exercises learning the notes in the first position. At the end of the 7th lesson is a piece called Spanish Study. You can find a video of it on youtube.com.

I've enjoyed it so far and am working on Spanish Study right now. The book discussed body position, holding the guitar, technique in both hands, etc. It seems pretty complete to me and seems to be highly regarded. I don't remember then name of the second book that my teacher uses. I've also heard good things about "Pumping Nylon".

I started on my Fender steel string acoustic but purchased a classical a few weeks ago. It should be easier to play classical and fingerstyle pieces plus I just love the sound. But that isn't to say a steel string doesn't sound good to in that style, just different.

And to back up what some of the others have said, my mom has a 70s Yamaha classical that she bought new. All laminate and it still sounds good. They go for $75 or so on ebay.

____
Steve

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

The Noad books are very good

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote