Clear all

(cleaning guitar) please help!!

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@chaisewilson)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hello, i was recently given a fairly decent ibanez guitarfrom a gal i was giving lessons to! she decided that guitar just wasnt for her and gave me the guitar as payment!

the problem is she had left it outside for days and all of the pickups and screws were crusted with rust!!!(guitar still played fine but looked like crap)

i tried simple rubbing the rust off but it didnt work... so smart me i sprayed a dab of wd 40 on all rusted parts of the guitar!!

IT WORKED the rust was gone!!!......but now my guitar reeks of wd 40 i can't get the smelll to go away no matter how many times i rub it down , and i'm afraid when i put the strings on the strings will be ruined by the left over wd 40(which i can't get to come off)

any help is greatly appreciated ( i hope i didnt ruin my guitar!!!)

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i would take the guitar completely apart and clean everything again with a mild soap and water.
make sure you only wet the metal bits with a damp cloth.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

What you're smelling is kerosene, the main ingredient of WD-40. It'll all evaporate after a while.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@chaisewilson)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

ok i guess ill just wait and see what happens but will any wd 40 still on the guitar ruin strings if i put them on???

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

it won't affect the strings at all (or anything metal)...more likely to mess up the finish though.

I'd try and wipe as much off the fretboard as you can with a dry cloth.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If anything it'll be good for the strings, if they're not nylon.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote