Notifications
Clear all

Color Opinions Wanted

31 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
 DV8
(@dv8)

Of the two I like the black, but then again this is the best looking les I have ever seen.
http://www.guitarsale.com/Gibson-1968-Les-Paul-Custom-Silverburst-i449184.music

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I'm putting my vote in for the rootbeer too! I't sooo pretty! :wink:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@pkrider)
Trusted Member

I like the rootbeer vs the black (black is cool too). However.... My call is the heritage sunburst with the white pickguard for the les paul :). I'm very partial to bursts... My tele is an aged cheryyburst with rosewood neck and my Gibson CS-336 is a tangerine burst with black pickguard. I'm a big believer if you love the look of your axe you'll play more/better and take better care of her. Follow your heart!

PK

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

dv8,

that silver burst is absolutly beautiful, WOW 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

My favourite is violin burst, but of the two on offer, I'd take the root beer

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

If it were me I'd go with the Rootbeer that is a beauty.

Who am I kidding? If it were me I'd go with a Red ES 335.

But the Rootbeer is close.

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Who am I kidding? If it were me I'd go with a Red ES 335.Now we're talking!

However, the last new red ES 335 I examined closely in the store had obvious runs and orange peel in the paint. Gibson's quality control is sadly lacking for the prices they charge.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Wow, does this guitar come with that classy case that the black one is sitting in?
The white plush is awesome!

ReplyQuote
(@homchz)
Eminent Member

The Rootbeer would look better with Chrome or Nickel Hardware, The black looks sweet with the gold.

I would go black, but always have a dust rag in your back pocket.

Joshua Jones New Folk Singer Songwriter
Joshua Jones @ MySpace

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

Buy both, and give the one you like less to me.

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

The Rootbeer would look better with Chrome or Nickel Hardware, The black looks sweet with the gold.

I would go black, but always have a dust rag in your back pocket.
I disagree, I think the rootbeer would look better with gold and the black would look better with chrome. I am not a fan of red/redish guitars so I personally prefer the black, just not fond of all the gold on it. Maybe I'd think differently if I saw it in person.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I LOVE rootbeer. That's the decision, if you were buying me a guitar.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I figured I'd weigh in again on this one... Phinnin, if you are just starting out and want good gear, that's cool, but the Les Paul Supreme might be a but much. Yes, it is Gibson's top of the line, but I think you might be compensating a bit here... most players that I see simply play the LP Standard or Custom. Or even, the LP Standard Plus with extra flame or quilt.

I don't know, when I see the Supreme, it just screams "I can't play, but I bought the best." It may be just me, but I think you might be better served going with a musican's guitar, and not a collector's guitar. Just my opinion. Supreme's hang on the wall, Standards get played.

Hey, I started at age 30 too, its not too late!!

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey Dali, I hear ya. There is no doubt that the supreme is a bit vain but I figure that one of the small advantages us old farts have is that we can afford to have better stuff. And it happens to be one of the best looking guitars I have ever seen. Plus I play with my guitar very heavily now and why not have a good tool for your love.

Now having said all of that, I am getting absolutely pounded from various sources saying something similar to your recommendation: Bleep! the Gibson, buy a PRS Custom 22 and use the leftover money to buy a used Mesa Boogie Amp. This may turn out to be really valuable advice. Net gain kind of situation.

Arrgh. The more I search for answers, the more confused I am.

The good news is I just spent 5 hours last night recording with a buddy. We laid down blues tracks and took turns soloing over the top. We got a recording on accident of 4 beer bottle caps hittting the floor. We looped that back onto our tune and voila, easy percussion track!

The playing part is at least simple to figure out. Just do a LOT.

Thanks for everyone's input. And if I go Gibson, I'm going Root Beer. The "aye's" have it.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Phinnin - rock on. There are quite a few people that would like to "step down" to a PRS 22 and Mesa amp!!!

That sounds like an excellent plan.

Glad your playing! You should "mp3" your blues track and upload it for people to hear it on Guitar Noise.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3