Clear all

coming together!

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

It seems like I'm finally getting opportunities to do stuff with the guitar.

A few months ago, I saw a "musician ad" on craigslist saying that a guy was looking for some people to jam with on a regular basis. I've hung out with them a few times - and last night was amazing.

We went to a guys house who had a few half stacks, a bass amp, and a drum set. So we had lead, rhythm, bass, and set going - making up random rhythms and playing to them. The drummer finally said that he wanted to play guitar so I offered him my Ibanez and said I would give drums a shot. Surprisingly, the video game Rock Band is good for something! I was able to play a rock beat somewhat ok (no fancy fillers or anything...) - eighth notes on the closed high hat, quarter notes on bass drum, every other beat on the snare, with some tom and cymbal fillers (lousy at best). It was a blast. I'm looking forward to doing this more often. We didn't actually play any real songs

Also, I finally decided that I wanted to start up a band. My friend recently purchased a bass and amp and is getting into it. We've been playing together, but wanted more instruments and vocals tossed in. I put an ad on craigslist saying I wanted to get some guys together to have fun, but with a long term goal of playing live. I figure it will take a while to work up something good. We surprisingly got a ton of responses. There seems to be a tons of guys in my situation who have been playing for about a year and want to do something with it.

We all seem to agree on alternative, modern, and classic rock and will start off with easy songs and work our way up.

exciting times :D

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

sounds like things are working out great, congrats!

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

yeah. props. you actually had a jam. no songs actually played and you played all night long. that's jamming in my book.
good way to start the year.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Way to go!

The secret to getting a band going quick is being dependable and organized. Agree on one day per week that each person can devote at least 3-4 hours to practice. When everybody gets there, be organized. Have a set list of the songs you want to learn, with a copy of the lyrics and music for each player. With a little discipline and organization, you will be surprised how many songs you can learn in a practice. Also, each player should be expected to practice during the week on their own.

Good luck on starting your band! :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Sounds exciting. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

definitely!

The only problem will be finding a drummer

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

The most important thing is to have all the prospects committed and dedicted. You can learn and get better together. Hey...The Beatles started out with a Skittle Band!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

The most important thing is to have all the prospects committed and dedicted. You can learn and get better together. Hey...The Beatles started out with a Skittle Band!

Cat

Cat, the Beatles started out as a Skiffle band. One lousey guitar, a washboard, an overturned water pale....
It was just John and Paul at the time.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote