Clear all

Comping ?

16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm having a little trouble breaking this barrier and continuing to learn "Pride and Joy"
I've heard its called comping and is played with a shuffle feel.
I'm finding it very hard to to mute the high strings to get the chuck-a-chuck sound and still be able to actually finger the played notes. as its played at quite a brisk tempo

Anyway this is what the tab looks like

E-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x----x-----x---
B-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x----x-----x---
G-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x----x-----x---
D--------------------------2-----------------
A---------------2----4-----------4----2------
E--0-----4---------------------------------4-

And it just repeats through the verse

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I just tried it and they only way I could do it was by tilting the neck down a little, resting the meat of my picking hand on the bottom 3 strings near the bridge and picking the other notes without removing my hand.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I play it -

E-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x----x-----x----2----0
B-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x----x-----x----2----0
G-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x----x-----x----2----0
D--------------------------2--------------------------
A---------------2----4----------------2----------------
E--0-----3----------------------3--------------------

It doesn't sound the same with your tab.

Then you play the same thing, but throw in an E chord in replace of the first open string,..... mute and then the G (3) on the 6th string.

I tend to use the fingers I am using at the time to mute. I know that sounds confusing, but it took me awhile to get to where I'm at now.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Yeah, I would seperate the bass part from the other part first and then play it together. It's definitely not the easiest song to play.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I play it -

E-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x----x-----x----2----0
B-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x----x-----x----2----0
G-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x----x-----x----2----0
D--------------------------2--------------------------
A---------------2----4----------------2----------------
E--0-----3----------------------3--------------------

It doesn't sound the same with your tab.

Then you play the same thing, but throw in an E chord in replace of the first open string,..... mute and then the G (3) on the 6th string.

I tend to use the fingers I am using at the time to mute. I know that sounds confusing, but it took me awhile to get to where I'm at now.

That does actually sound better tracker,

Thanks.

Though still not easy!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

LOL I often use both notes:

---x-----x-
---x-----x-
---x-----x-
-----------
-----------
-0---3-4---

etc.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

That does actually sound better tracker,

Thanks.

No problem.

Yes, it is a tough one to play, then again most of his songs are! :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I just played through it real quick - I substitute the G# for the second muted chord...

---x-------x---x---x-------x-2-0-
-----------------2---------------
---------2---4-----------2-------
-0---3-4-------------3-4---------

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@sullivandf)
Estimable Member

Hey Rodders, I have the SRV tab book from Live at Montreaux and he actually plays it a little differently. When he plays the chords, he's actually playing open strings, not muted strings. If you watch the video, he hits the open strings on the up stroke and then quickly mutes the chord with his giant hand when he slaps it back down on the fret board to fret the next bass note. Make sense? It's obviously a very difficult song to play, especially the way he plays it.

ReplyQuote
(@roundeye)

Not that I can do it even after watching him, but I'm getting there. This might not be exactly right, but the technique is all there.

By the way, hi ya'll.

I hope he doesn't mind me linking to his site. I really appreciate his free lessons as well as the ones here at Guitarnoise.

- Roundeye

http://littlebrother.nlpd.com/WebLessonVaughanPJstyle/default.htm

Nothing to see here...

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I've seen it tabbed (and heard it) with ringing B and high e on the upbeat instead of muted GBe.

BTW, who is calling this comping? Comping most often is associated with jazz, and means "composing" a moving chord part to play behind solos or other parts -- often changing chord every 2 beats using alterations, extensions and substitutions. Not sure how this tune fits that definition.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I was calling it comping due to the fact I have this song on a DVD called "Classic Blues Vol 2" by Dan Warner and he refers to this passage as "comping" rightly or wrongly.
welcome to you Roundeye hope you enjoy your stay. Thanks for the link.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I've also heard 'comping' referred to as a shortening of 'accompanying', which is sort of along the same lines anyhow because he's accompanying his voice. Except it's not really jazz comping where the chords and partial chords are changing all the time. In this case it's more of a steady rhythmic 'riff'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comping

In the case of that song I think I remember SRV muting with his chording hand like sullivandf mentioned. Kind of a 'flapping' motion. It's really a pretty intense (double-dotted?) sort of rhythm isn't it? He holds the upstroke off until RIGHT at the end of each strum; like BAAAH-dit BAAAH-dit BAAAH-dit BAAAH-dit.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

I actually think the tab is incorrect. I have the sheet music in front of me from a guitar world issue (they are usually pretty good about authenticity), and there is no palm muting in the verse. What he's doing (they actually have a little write up on this part in the issue GW April 04) is just playing the open DGB strings on the upbeat using solely upstrokes and fret hand muting. The quick tempo and the fret hand muting are what causes the chucka chucka sound. If you want to accompany the bass, just play the bass notes on the downbeat. The trickiest part is cleanly hitting the bass notes while maintaing the mute on the higher strings, since both occur simultaneously. It feels really awkward at first.

Everytime I read through a transcription of SRVs I get a new respect as to what that guy could do... :o

M

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The tab I put in may well be wrong as I was only doing it from memory to give an idea as to what I was talking about.

I think Trackers tab is closer to the mark

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2