Skip to content
computer guitar eff...

Notifications
Clear all

computer guitar effects software (can i get it for FREE ? )

31 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

hey do you guys know any good computer software for processing guitar sound.(i mean adding effects like distortion through the computer software).Any ways to have to FREE :lol: :wink:

Hook
(@hook)
Trusted Member

I think there is a lightweight version of amplitube that is free.
http://www.amplitube.com

Then there is guitarsuite that is great. But you need a program that can handle VST plugins.
http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

These programs work in realtime so you might need a good computer and/or a good soundcard.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Both Audacity and Kristal are free and do have the capability to add effects after recording (not during ). Remember, when you get something for free you usualy don't get the best.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I think there is a lightweight version of amplitube that is free.
http://www.amplitube.com

Then there is guitarsuite that is great. But you need a program that can handle VST plugins.
http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

These programs work in realtime so you might need a good computer and/or a good soundcard.

What do you mean by VST plugins.I have downloaded the file of the second link but they are all just .dll files.How to use them.Any program? :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@newlyded1)

Those .dll files are the VST plugins. What you'd need is a program that can play (for the lack of a better term) those files. I've got one free one, but the name of it escapes me (it's on my other pc), though the program isn't all that great anyway. Sound Forge has a program that can handle vst plugins, but I don't know which one. There used to be one called Cubase VST. That's still around, but under a different name now. Neither of these programs are free, though.

GuitarFX, as I recall is free. It's a standalone program that doesn't require plugins. As I recall, you can get some decent effects with it, including distortion. The big problem with this program, and it goes for "most" pc effects is that there is alot of times a 1-2 second delay from when you play and when you hear what you're playing.

Amplitube does have a standalone program, too. I think it's for Amplitube Live. I personally didn't care for it, though there wasn't much if any delays. Also, it's just a demo. Fully functional for I think 15 days.

The best pc solution I've come across is called Native Instruments Guitar Rig. It's got the best sounding effects from all that I've tried. It does have a bit of a delay issue, too, though not as bad as GuitarFX. Alas, this one isn't free, either, unless you were to go through methods that we won't mention on the board.

Hope that helps a bit.

ReplyQuote
 Hook
(@hook)
Trusted Member

Yeah you need some kind of software that can handle VST plugins, like Cubase, Logic, Live and Fruityloops. You could say that VST plugins is virtual instruments and effects wich you use in your music sequencer instead of real hardware instruments and effect.

But if you just wanna play around you could try Amplitube UNO. Its a standalone program.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/MainPhp.html?NewsDisplay.php&Id=398

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Those .dll files are the VST plugins. What you'd need is a program that can play (for the lack of a better term) those files. I've got one free one, but the name of it escapes me (it's on my other pc), though the program isn't all that great anyway. Sound Forge has a program that can handle vst plugins, but I don't know which one. There used to be one called Cubase VST. That's still around, but under a different name now. Neither of these programs are free, though.

GuitarFX, as I recall is free. It's a standalone program that doesn't require plugins. As I recall, you can get some decent effects with it, including distortion. The big problem with this program, and it goes for "most" pc effects is that there is alot of times a 1-2 second delay from when you play and when you hear what you're playing.

Amplitube does have a standalone program, too. I think it's for Amplitube Live. I personally didn't care for it, though there wasn't much if any delays. Also, it's just a demo. Fully functional for I think 15 days.

The best pc solution I've come across is called Native Instruments Guitar Rig. It's got the best sounding effects from all that I've tried. It does have a bit of a delay issue, too, though not as bad as GuitarFX. Alas, this one isn't free, either, unless you were to go through methods that we won't mention on the board.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks and even if you dont want to tell the METHOD across the board you can directly email also :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Guitar Fx Box works very welll, no delay. The demo only lets you play for 5 minutes then it pause's. It doesnt close you just have to hit the start button again.

http://www.guitar-fxbox.com/

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

You'll have a delay unless you have an ASIO capable sound card (or use Asio4All) and software which works wiith it.

EDIT:I don't know about that Guitar Fx Box; it may sidestep the usual delay somehow.

EDIT AGAIN:Oh, it does; it uses the same method Asio4All does.

ReplyQuote
(@shadewalker)

From my experience, Amplitube is the best in terms of usability, stability and ease of use. I remember I could get some really nice, big tones out of it. With Guitar Rig, I had problems with too high latency (delay) and a bit weak tones. However, Guitar Rig has really great potential if you're willing to fiddle with it for a while. Some of the "f.x." presets are impressive in particular. As paul donnelly already pointed out, Asio4All is a must-have to reduce latency as far as it can get for best playing performance.

Since there are demo versions for most of these apps (VST plugin or stand-alone), all I can suggest is try them out and see what works best for you. :)

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I tried out a free program called Kristal Audio Engine (or something like that), which did effects and recording, but I don't remember whether it worked with VSTs or not.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Kristal was the one I recommended about 8 replies ago and yes it does handle VST plugins.

http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hey even though i hav downloaded kristal yet i can't understand how to record in it.There are SO many mixers.Its quite confusing :shock:

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

To get you started,

In the Kristal Waiver window click on the record button (next to the little speaker). It should turn red and below it show the name of your recording type. MME1 should work.

In the transport window click on record to record and stop to stop and rewind to rewind etc.

On playback use the mixer window to apply effects. Audio 1 equals Waver 1. In the fx column click on where it says no fix and choose the effect you want.

If any of the above windows are not showing within the main window go to the main menus under where it says Audio Engine and either start them or select them in the window pulldown.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Kristal was the one I recommended about 8 replies ago and yes it does handle VST plugins.

http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/
So you did. I'd like to point out, for anyone who cares about that kind of thing, that Kristal is just free as in beer, and not free as in freedom, like Audacity. On the other hand, Audacity doesn't let you play through effects in real time.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3