Clear all

Connecting Mic to Computer?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

hey, I just recently bought a Behringer XM8500 microphone. It has an XLR plug on the bottom of it. I would like to record on my computer using this, so i need to get a cable that will allow me to do this. Would this work:?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/336121/

I have a 1/4 to 1/8 converter so i can plug it into my computer. Is this the right cable? Thanks.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Ya, but only if your pc has a audio line-in.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@wishus)
Trusted Member

Actually, you need a mic in on your computer. Line-in will not work since the microphone is not a line level source.

It would be better to buy an external mic preamp that connects to your computer through USB. It will sound better.

Third Take a blog about home recording

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

yeah, i got a 1/8 mic in on the back of my computer. I'm really just using this to be able to listen to myself play and maybe record things so i can play over them.
Maybe sometime in the future ill get a external mic preamp, but for now I think this should be fine for what im doing with it. Thanks guys.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

oops.. im talkin about plugging a guitar in.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I'll tell you what I did.......... I went to Radio Shack and bought a $20 mic that came with a 1/4 jack, now the trick is to get the 1/8" mono to mono to hook up your mic to just your regular mic hole in the back of your computer. You can get the stereo sound by running it through whatever program you're using. If you want to plug your guitar directly in, you'll need the mono to stereo 1/8" jack. If you plug the mic into the mono to stereo jack and plug that into the computer, you will get nothing. It HAS to be mono to mono. And I get some pretty good vocals through it, too!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I am in the proccess of looking into a USB interface like the M_Audio Fast Track or something similar.
I have heard that going this route gives a much better sound quality plus you can do some mixing of guitar and vocals ect...

ReplyQuote