Skip to content
Cool, classic blues...

Notifications
Clear all

Cool, classic blues for electric, ideas?

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@flintstone)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,
I am looking for some classic blues guitar to get my fingers into. I am an intermediate player but i like challenges. I am sure everyone has their favourite, so who has a suggestion to keep me busy these winter holidays?

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Hi

I'm not really sure what you have in mind - and I have never really played a lot of blues myself. But, having aquired a Telecaster recently I decided to learn the solo guitar to Hideaway note for note. (Mayall & the bluesbreakers with Clatopn on guitar). This is definitely "cool", "classic", "blues" and for electric - you will find the tab via google.

Have never sat down and replicated a solo note for note before - I realise now that there are lots of trick to pull from this, that can be added to the repoitoire of turnarounds etc. later.

Should keep me busy for the *summer* holiday.

pm me if you want a small takeout of the song to recall which one it is

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

I'm not really sure what you have in mind - and I have never really played a lot of blues myself. But, having aquired a Telecaster recently I decided to learn the solo guitar to Hideaway note for note. (Mayall & the bluesbreakers with Clatopn on guitar). This is definitely "cool", "classic", "blues" and for electric - you will find the tab via google. Over the past year or so, I've discovered that many of the songs I've liked for all these years would be classified as Blues or Blues/Rock. 'Magine that; all I knew was that I liked 'em. :lol:
Wow, you really went for the Big Time with the Bluesbreakers' version! You could have started with the Freddy King version and "worked up." Not that the Freddy King version is "easy," by any means, but I think it's just a tad laid back compared to what EC did. Then too, Sting said he played the Clapton version over and over at 16 RPM to learn it. (And some of the younger readers are saying "Huh? Sixteen RPM?" :? ) I went looking for it recently on Napster (I have a CD with the Freddie King one on it), but they don't seem to have it. (I tried both "Hide Away" and "Hideaway," but no joy.) Freddie King threw in a "Peter Gunn" riff in his, Clapton did a "Memphis" theme on his cover. I've got an SRV CD with a live cut of him going into "Hide Away" from "Rude Mood." Niiiiiice! 8)
In the Hal Leonard "Signature Licks" book/CD Guitar Instrumental Hits by Wolf Marshall, both versions are tabbed out. It also has SRV's "Lenny" and some other great tunes. There's also a Blues Guitar Classics book/CD with both versions, and a Blues/Rock Guitar Masters. (By Andy Aledort; "Statesboro Blues," "Pride and Joy," etc.) Lots of good stuff in there about the "boxes" that different players favored, "Blues Guitar Axology," etc. (Can you tell I've got all three? :lol: ) http://www.halleonard.com
Show us that "Tele twang," Larsko. 8) Some day, I may add a Tele (copy) to my collection.
Flintstone, what've you got for a guitar? I'm using a Johnson JS-050-¾ Strat copy with GHS 10s on it, and it's pretty slick for working on bends and other stuff. When I finally get the pickups and other "innards" into my Memphis LP copy, maybe I can go after some different sounds.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

go to fender players club, they have some very good free blues lessons for all abilities

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

Give this link a try:

Slowhand Blues

http://www.12bar.de/

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Wow, you really went for the Big Time with the Bluesbreakers' version!

Yeah :oops: We'll see what comes from it. Some of the parts are *fairly* easy, some of the parts are much more tricky - but dividing it up, playing verse by verse over and over I'll get some technique and some ideas for use elsewhere.
Thusfar I've realised that I can/should use:
More bends
Duoblestops (?) with bending one string more than the other
Bend->releasebend->pull off->hammer on on next string->pull off
etc...

if I know myself well, I will end up learning some of it and leave out the hardest part

*off to play some more*

Lars

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Wow, you really went for the Big Time with the Bluesbreakers' version!
Yeah :oops: We'll see what comes from it. Some of the parts are *fairly* easy, some of the parts are much more tricky - but dividing it up, playing verse by verse over and over I'll get some technique and some ideas for use elsewhere.Way to go! To use a Billy Gibbons quote, "grab that slab, and tear it up!" 8)
Thusfar I've realised that I can/should use:
More bends
Duoblestops (?) with bending one string more than the otherYep, I saw a bunch of those in the EC tab, for example the second and third strings on the 14th fret, with a "½" for the second string and "full" for the third. In other places, there's an 'X' on one string. and the fret number on the other. Whew! How does he do that?
if I know myself well, I will end up learning some of it and leave out the hardest partHeh; sounds a lot like the guy I saw in the mirror this morning. Well, I'm gonna work on it, too.
*off to play some more*Play on! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@flintstone)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks everyone. Some great ideas. Lars, my way choosing and tackling songs is similar, but i find that it takes me about a month to get the tab into my head and another six months to put it into a "reasonable" form and speed. I have learnt heaps doing this and I think it stops me from avoiding difficult techiques. I have a epi les paul, Doug, and I like it a lot, though it does weigh a fair bit. As for sounds, my vox ad15vt has them all, if you have a good enough imagination :) Is it just my imagination or are teles coming out of the shadow of the strat these days?!

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Is it just my imagination or are teles coming out of the shadow of the strat these days?!

There's lots of Tele-talk on these boards yes (a teleological forum...). I had never played one when I joined here, now I have one. Think the tele has dominated within in certain genres - something towards blues-rock, blues-country, country-blues, or whatever you call it. You shouldn't draw a general conclusion from obserevations here, because these genres may be over-represented here. But watch out, before you know it you will own one too. Everybody here does, it seems.

maybe the CIA has something to do with it - *watching over my shoulder* ;)

Lars

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

if I know myself well, I will end up learning some of it and leave out the hardest part
Lars
I've been learning some of Gary Moore's stuff, recently and always hit a wall, with his super fast runs. I've put his stuff to one side to learn Jessica by the Allman Bros (I'm into the 60+ bar solo), but when I revisit it, I'll try to rewrite those bits, that are too fast for me, into something that I can play.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote