Notifications
Clear all

cover band question

20 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

My son's band played Welcome Home at their first show. The response was very flat, even though a majority of people there were in his age group (16). It was in the middle of Journey, Rush, Iron Maiden and Commodores covers and every other song got a great response from both the kids and parents. I like the song and they played it well, it just isn't one of those songs that goes over well in a cover band situation.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

that's unfortunate. Once we get our song list bulked up, i suppose we can drop it.

ReplyQuote
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member

In my experience, people (mostly females) want to sing along with the band. Play songs everyone knows the words too and a group of girls will stand in front of you and sing along. Also girls will dance with other girls on the dance floor...guys will stand at the bar drink beer and watch the girls.

IMO...Play to your female audience and you won't go wrong. :D

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Hey bro, what's up?

There is a fantastic place to play YYZ, Welcome Home, Damage Inc, Summer Song, To Live is to Die, Losfer's Word, La Villa Strangiato, Frank, and others...

It is called your basement.

Sad, but true (not the song) the hits are what keep the people happy. Throw a few Beatles tunes in as well, everybody likes the Beatles.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@jw123)

If you are actually being paid to play, then you need to play what the audience wants to hear or you wont be paid to play for long.

Im with the above, if you want to play the prog material the best place is at home or spread it thinly within your sets.

My band does a lot of medleys and we will stick something like YYZ in the middle of another song, just a short section of it. It catches the ears of the musicians in the crowd and gives you credibility with them, while the casual listener will think you are jamming out.

In cover bands try to entertain and make the evening fun for the crowd and you will be successful.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2