Clear all

damaged frets

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

so i just took all the strings off my acoustic, i polished the surface and i lemon oiled the fret board.....and i noticed that on the bridge and on the first 4 frets there is significant damage like crevisis and dents from the high E and B strings digging in....what should i do? im geussing bring it into a shop too replace some of the frets, but i also want to no how to prevent this fret ware...the guitar is only about 3 years old...is this normal?

$MAX$

(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Fret wear after 3 years of use is quite normal. Sometimes they only need to polish, but take it to the shop for an assesment.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

It is normal to have small grooves in the frets after several years of playing as Primeta said. It only becomes a problem when the grooves become so deep that the string touches the next higher fret. So if you are not getting fret buzz, don't worry about it.

Here is a site with some pictures of some badly worn frets and pictures after repair was made.

Fret Repair

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@tommy-slick)

Most guitar's will show sign's of fret wear after time , but if you dont hear any buzzing or rattling don't worry till it doe's.My fender strat started choking out, the fret's from the fith to the fourtenth were worn,the repairman filed the fret's from the fiftenth on down.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

I actually asked this same question about a month ago, and what you hear is what I got too. It is normal I guess.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote