Clear all

Dick Knight Guitars - I bought one

14 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

A while ago I posted a thread about wanting a quality Jumbo acoustic. Well, I bought one:
http://www.richard-halford.co.uk/dickknight.html

I have the original receipt from Dec 1972 and hard-shell case. It plays and sounds fantastic, better than I could have hoped for.

I didn't intend to buy from Ebay, I just had this on 'watch' and with a few minutes to go it seemed to be selling for what I thought was a bargain price, so I put a bid in and won it. Luckily the gamble has paid off.

If anyone knows anythin about Knight Guitars*, particularly acoustic ones, I'd love to hear from you. Likewise, if anyone wants to advise what wood the back and sides are, go for it.

Rich.

* http://www.knight-guitars.com/ I've mailed them just to let them know that the images are there, should they want them.

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Just wanted to pipe in and say how beautiful that wood is. That is a gorgeous guitar.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well, politcal correctness gone mad. The title of this thread was 'Dick Knight', and just in case this thread gets changed think 'Kick Knight' but replace the first K with a D. His name wasn't even Richard, it was Stanley, which makes the correction incorrect and even more annoying.

My name is Richard. My sisters husbands brothers name is also Richard. Therefore, to our neice, he is Uncle Richard and I am Uncle "Kick" - it did it again, I have had to edit this to say 'Kick but replace the first k with a D'. Doesn't bother me being called Kick, I think the name was even okay for an Enid Blyton character (hardly a saucy writer was she?).

I guess context is everything, although I guess I now know why I am having trouble finding info on "Kick" Knight guitars on the web.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Ah yes, well my apologies. It isn't political correctness as much as trying to keep the site family accessible.

By the way, Enid Blyton politically correct? I dunno, ask Golliwog and the Nottingham Public Libraries. I loved the books.

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

No worries Nick, I understand why its done, I just can't help feeling a little sad and tired about it all.

Nay mind, what do you reckon to my new (old?) guitar?

And thanks for the comments Geoo, the photo's do make it look quite tasty.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Mmmm, that flame maple is tasty! Right up the neck, too!

That's a real beauty. Enjoy!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

That wood is beautiful! :D Lovely looking guitar! How does she sound?

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I guess context is everything, although I guess I now know why I am having trouble finding info on "Kick" Knight guitars on the web.

BAH, dont be a kickhead. :lol: :lol: Just teasing but after I went back and read you post I was laughing so hard that I had to say something.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

How's it sound and play?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

How does it sound and play? Previously I just said that it was great, but that didn't seem to be enough so I have now spent some time back to backing it against my Taylor 314 and its still proving difficult to answer!

The Taylor has a 1 12/16ths nut, which makes the strings 1 8/16ths wide at the nut and 2 4/16ths at the bridge.
The 'Knight' has a 1 10/16ths nut, which makes the strings 1 6/16ths wide at the nut and 2 at the bridge.

The Taylor has a fairly slim neck, the Knight has a big D baseball bat neck.

The Taylor is 3 3/4 deep at the shoulder and 4 1/4 deep at its deepest point
The Knight is 4 6/16ths deep at the shoulder and 4 10/16ths deep at its deepest point

Both guitars are have similar sized sounboards 20 'long', 11 8/16ths wide (top) and 15 3/4 (Taylor bottom*) an 16 1/4 (Knight bottom)

The Taylor has 20 frets, Knight 21. Neither have a cut-away, so thats kind of academic.

Why all the details? Well, first off, I got carried away :D But more importantly, I instantly found the Knight easier to play than the Taylor. As I've said before, I like belting out a song, strumming wildly with little finess and the Knight just seems built for it. It seemed easier to transition between chords. It does have a lower action than the Taylor but that didn't seem the only reason. Then I tried some finger picking and my right hand seemed to be catching 'wrong' strings. Thats when I measured it and found out that the strings are closer together on the Knight.

I find the fatter neck more comfortable as well.

As to the sound, they are different but its difficult for me to explain why. Chords seem to sound cleaner/less muddy(?) on the Knight, but that may be because its more forgiving of my cack-handed playing.

For my type of playing the Knight is definately what I've been looking for. If I was a gentler player then maybe the Taylor would win out. Regardless, I am a very happy (and lucky) man. I have recorded myself playing and will load these onto YouTube at some point but my playing and the webcam I use don't really do either guitar justice.

I'm constantly amazed at how much there is to learn. I have a better understanding of necks/nuts/string spacing and what suits me and I wasn't really aware of any differences available before this. Life is good.

So, thats where my playing 'ear' is after 3 years of trying. I wonder where it will take me in the coming years?

*Taylors site says its 16", so either they built me a slim one or my measuring tape is out. No matter, the same measure was used on both guitars, so its all relative.

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Okay, I've added some clips to YouTube:

Good Riddance on my Taylor: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=v1WRdqPO6mQ
and on the Knight: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HWwJPHSUXp0

ReplyQuote
(@jase36)
Reputable Member

Rich

Firstly Ive been playing for 2 years and I still class myself as a beginner in alot of aspects of guitar playing so its only my opinion. I watched both videos and I realize what we hearing in the videos is going to sound different to what I might hear if you were infront of me. I thought the Taylor sounds better (thats through tiny speakers on my screen) but you looked more relaxed with the D1ck Knight.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hey Rich,

Thanks for posting of the clips. I'm always a little curious to hear a Taylor and something else back to back. You're DcKnight sounds good as does, or course, your taylor.

The Taylor sure has that distinctive sound to it that so many love. I've got a 214 and like it enough, but I heard this Martin one day a few years ago....... very nice.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

All I have to say is that it is one BEAUTIFUL guitar. Congrats, Rich. You are Rich.

ReplyQuote