Clear all

Different Godin Divisions

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Out of curiousity, what is really the difference between the different Godin divisions (let's focus on the acoustic divisions just for the sake of simplicity.) Each has it's own little design concepts and does things slightly differently (although the technology seems to be prettymuch the same.) They are supposidly of the same quality, although from what I've seen (this may not hodl true always) some general rules can be formed, for instance the price scale kind of goes Norman>Seagull>S&P>A&L. Is there a reason though why pretty much people only buy and dicuss the Seagull division? Is there anything about that one in particular? Does it like get first pick of the woods or soemthing? There is a chance I might get a guitar from one of those divisions, and I think I prefer the thinner neck of the Norman ST40 over the Seagull M6, but is there a particular reason why Seagull might be a better choice?

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

nope

ReplyQuote
 Hex
(@hex)

I remember reading an article saying that new techniques and manufacturing approaches were usually first introduced on Seagull and later used by Norman.

I was told at a store that while being of similar quality, Norman was targeting the more traditional acoustic sound while Seagull was a little more experimental. To my ears, Seagulls sound somewhat brighter but it could simply be the specific models I tried at the time (Seagull S6 and Norman B20 both with the semi-gloss finish).

I don't really know the other brands but I noticed that Art & Lutherie was also manufacturing "white label" guitars sold under local brands for some music stores. The only example I know of is Archambault in Québec but there might be more.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Godin guitars are very good. I've played A&L's, Seagulls, and Norman's, a good few of each. I own and Art & Lutherie Wild Cherry which I'm playing right now, and I am really thinking about getting some sort of Godin 12 string. Very good guitar, I think Seagull is higher quality, but A&L's are nothing to turn your nose up at.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I think they're mostly made in LaPatrie, Quebec. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote