Clear all

Different types of acoustic guitars?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

This topic recently came up between a couple of friends, & we now realize that we need some clarification.

Can y'all tell me the difference between;

1. Dreadnought Guitar.

2. Folk Guitar.

3. Classical Guitar.

4. Any other variants that I might have missed, other than the obvious "electric". I do at least know what that one is! :mrgreen:

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

There's more than you can shake a stick at, I think.

1. Dreadnought is a size. Other sizes are called Parlor or Auditorium, Jumbo, "Standard" (which hasn't been standard since the 1800s - it's smaller than a Parlor), Jumbo, Super-Jumbo, 3/4 and 1/2. You'll find more names than those, but there are basically about five different body sizes for full-size guitars. In most of those, you can have the neck join the body at either the 12th or 14th fret, so that gives you a few more overall sizes.

2. "Folk" is two things... a generic term for any acoustic guitar, and a name for a steel (or nylon) string guitar with roller tuners. You can also find some old guitars with viola style tuning pegs... I haven't heard of a separate name for those.

3. In nylon string, you've also got flamenco. They're a lot like classical, except they're traditionally made from different wood (Cedar/cypress), and they have golpeadores - tap plates, kinda like pick guards.

4. Arch top, 12-string, dobro... then there's the ethnic ones, like the vihuela, guitarron, bajo sexto and requnito (go see a mariachi band - all those different guitars have different names!) or the Hawaiian slack key... different voices, like baritone, tenor and even soprano... crossover instruments like harp guitars... antique near-guitars like the chitarra... pseudo-antique "Renaissance" guitars - which are basically guitars with an extreme peghead angle like a lute, and a filigree soundhole insert... I'm sure I'm forgetting a whole bunch. And I'm sure there's a whole bunch more I've never heard of. And other ways to slice things - are cutaways a separate category?

Even the obvious "electric" comes in solid, hollow, and semi-hollow bodies... double neck (and more neck) combinations, and you can even find odd things like DanElectro's electric sitar :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks NoteBoat!

Very interesting read; I knew there wouldn't be a "simple" answer! :lol:
The Folk Guitar definition; you mentioned the "Roller Tuners". Do you mean a "gear" tuner such as on this page - http://www.gilberttuners.com/images.html

Or are you referring to the slotted headstock with the tuner shafts set into it?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I meant the ones with rollers, Kat - which is what's on the pic you posted. Most steel-string guitars using tuning posts (which stick up from the face of the peghead) instead of tuning rollers (which sit inside slots on the peghead)

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

there's also the Picasso guitar as used by Pat Metheny on youtube. weird thing.

thanks for posting Noteboat, I really liked reading about some guitars I'd never heard of before and/or forgotten about. props.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

That's a harp guitar.

what about the OM guitar models......

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

That's a harp guitar.

what about the OM guitar models......

Same as auditorium/parlor size. Like I said, there are lots of names for five basic body sizes.

ReplyQuote