Clear all

Different types of harmonics

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I have heard two terms for harmonics: natural and pinch. I have always figured them to be the same. I recently ran across a tab that had two separate symbols for harmonics, leading me to belief that there is multiple ways to achieve harmonics.

I am only aware of the technique of lightly covering the string above the desired note and plucking it to achieve harmonics, what form of harmonics is this?

How do you perform the other style of harmonics?

Are there any other ways to perform harmonics?

Thanks a lot for any help :wink:
Sincerely
Tyler

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

There are actually a lot of ways to play harmonics. Here are a few I know:
Natural: Lightly touch (don't fret) over the 12th fret (or other "nodes" like the 3rd fret, 5th fret, 9th fret)
Artificial: Fret a string and then touch 12 frets up from it (ie fret the 3rd fret and lightly touch over the 15th fret)
"Pinch" Harmonics: Play the note with a little bit of the flesh from your thumb brushing the string as you pick. These take a bit of practice.
Whammy bar dimebag technique: http://www.youtube.com/w/Dimebag-Squealing-Lesson?v=oFnoOm7q1jg&search=dimebag

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

As a rule of thumb: Natural and artifical harmonics are the ones you hear with the bell-like sound, and pinch harmonics are the squeals.

There's also tap harmonics where you hit the string with the pick, right over a fret (as in the actual fret itself, not the gap between them), knocking the string into the fret and starting it off. Or at least, that's how it's supposed to work - I've never had much luck with that one, and there's always been more important things on my to-learn list :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Misanthrope - use your finger, not the pick. The motion is just like tapping a note, but you hit the fret... it's actually pretty easy.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Cheers NB, I'll give that a go :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

:oops:

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote