Clear all

distortion pedals

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@ginger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ok I have a question. On my amp i have a distorion button and can turn the gain up and down to achieve more or less distortion. what i want to know is, can i get a pedal that does the same thing. like let me dial in how much distortion i want like a gain knob. and can you recomend a good pedal that will do this? thank you very much for your help.

(@tkn_dk)
Trusted Member

You can get pedals that do exactly that. I don't have any experience with any tho, so I'll let someone else recommend some.

And welcome to GN! (I noticed this is your first post.)

All I want is food and creative love.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

the classic, all-purpose distortion pedal is the Boss DS-1. i own one, and for the most part i prefer it to the Overdrive models of my Vox amp. it's only about $40, so you can't go wrong, and it's dead simple to use. 2 knobs, that's it, one for gain, one for tone. you can get so much out of it, it's not even funny.

Also, check out the new Gutiar Player magazine. it has a distortion pedal roundup that could be very helpful for you.

and welcome to GN!!

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN, Bonzo!

Here's a basic one:

Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

thanks for all the help!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Bonzo, be sure that what you want is distortion, and not overdrive. Distortion can be found in heavier music, System of a Down, Nirvana, Metallica... Overdrive would be more like Zep, Clapton, etc.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

welcome to GN

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer is an excellent pedal. it is the best overdrive out there.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Boss kicks A$$ dude :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@mr-mervyn)
Eminent Member

Just have to throw this one into the mix, Big Muff Pi. Very distorted but so very nice.

Cheers.

Better shred than dead.

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

You might also want to look at the newish Zoom G2 Pedal, i just got one recently replacing my 505 and it's very good i think

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Behringer V-Tone GDI21 - excellent range of amp models with overdrive/distortion and basic EQ thrown in. Lovely sound at a silly price!

ReplyQuote
(@avikchaks)
Estimable Member

hiya

can a zoom 505 multi effects processor help me get the same distortion/overdrve as seperate boss pedals or wah wah as a separate cry baby ...

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Broadly yes - but think of spending a little more. The 505 is OK as far as sound goes, but the build quality (esp. input & output jacks) is a little flimsy, and there is no expression pedal. Either go for a 606, with better (24-bit) processing and an expression pedal built in, or the extremely well-built GFX-1 (a much more professional unit designed for serious live use) or its brother the GFX-3 with built-in expression pedal. Of course you can buy either a 505 II or a GFX-1 and add a plug-in expression pedal later.

Personally, I'm very keen on the Zoom processors. I use a GFX-1 all the time, in all kinds of live situations, and it's never let me down. Works equally well into a guitar amp (set all EQ flat and use the processor's own EQ is my recipe) or into a PA mixer via a DI box, where the speaker cabinet models come into their own. (NB the single cabinet model in the 505 II is very limited, whereas the 606 / GFX-1 modelling engine includes several different models - open/closed back combo or stack.)

One big advantage of processors, provided you can avoid over-using modulation effects:roll:, is that you get to program patches, so you can change from say a rhythm to a solo sound at the tap of a footswitch.

ReplyQuote
(@avikchaks)
Estimable Member

hiya pvtele

guess i'll get a 606 as the gfx series is not available here ....

btw can my marshall mg10cd handle the 606 or the 707 ....

it has jus 10W of power ..

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2