Clear all

Disturbed Stricken - solo help

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

My girlfriend challenged me with the statement 'I bet you can't play this song.', which of course made me immediately tune my spare guitar to CGCFAD so I could have a go. Found a great set of You Tube videos that went through the intro, the chorus is very easy, so now I'm left with that awesome solo.

If anyones not heard it, go listen to the song and get the lyrics. Its a masterpiece for sure.

Anyway, after I got it all set up and a nice distorted sound going, I almost wet myself with pleasure. The song is very punchy, crunchy, and other things ending in unchy. So hearing me belting it out is just awesome. Its far too fast for my chops at the moment, but I can play it! WOOT!

So I'm now at that ridiculously melodic first half of the solo, and I've managed to get that down somewhat. I tend to learn as much as I feel is necessary, then play that over and over for a few days until I feel I want to go further. Once I've got the solo under my fingertips I can work on individual bits to polish it.

My question is on the second extremely fast HO/PO run that goes like this:

e-13p10h12p10---------13p10h12p10-------
B--------------13p10--------------13p10

e-15p10h12p10---------15p10h12p10-------
B--------------13p10--------------13p10

I just don't know where to begin with this. I can put my hand in position and get the first 13-10-12-10 run on the high e, and even get the 13-10 on the B afterwards, but the transition is very uneven.

The 15-10-12-10 part is a crazy stretch for me too. Do I move the whole hand down for the 15 then return for the 10-12-10 part? I don't really stretch my hands before I practice, other than a few scale runs. If its a case of stretching and practicing then thats fine, but I'd love someone to recommend a decent finger stretching exercise.

I'm also pretty unsure when to pick and when to just hammer on and pull off. Does anyone have any chops with this song that can help?

P.S. Doesn't it sound so sweet... :D

edited to correct tuning.

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

My son plays this song. He's 13, and into Disturbed, Slipknot, Coheed, and the like. Learned it off Youtube vids like you. He's only learned the rhythm part though, and hasn't tackled the solo yet. It is a killer sounding song. :twisted: My advice would be to dissect it into small pieces, and learn each piece one piece at a time until you can play each section cleanly & then work it up to speed. The "P" stands for "pull-off", (when you pull-off of the note before to sound the next note), and the "H" stands for "hammer-on", (when you sound the next note by hammering your finger on the next note to sound it). The 15p10h12 section is a stretch, so I'd suggest using your middle finger on your picking hand to play the note at the 15th fret, and then pull-off to the note on the 10th fret ala Eddie Van Halen. Hope this helps a little.

Good luck,
Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Sorry, I do know what the H and P stand for, but I tabbed that from memory and how I'd try and play it to get the necessary speed. Thats probably a good idea to get the 15-10-12-10 stretch, if I turn up the compression and get some light fingered tapping down I guess.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I'm also pretty unsure when to pick and when to just hammer on and pull off. Does anyone have any chops with this song that can help?

Sorry, I took this to mean you didn't know what the tab was telling you to play, and that the tab you posted was the actual solo. Sorry I couldn't help.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

i dont know the song, but it is a bit of a stretch for fast legato. i would definately seriously think about just tapping the 15th fret with my right hand. 8)

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Anyone got any good tutorials for 2 handed tapping?
I mean I know the basics, but some things are a requirement for my noobie skillz, like a tone that screams with the lightest touch lol.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I never saw a tuning listed that way is it just Db, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, and Eb so this is Drop D with eveything down a half step correct?

I don't know the song but I'd be suprised if they are doing any tapping to play that part. I think you have to work on your stretch to get that down.

But checking the internet there are several different versions of that solo which like everything else on the internet is suspect to how accurate it really is.

It may very possible that you are using an incorrect tab, I didn't see that stretch in the other tabs but my guess is none of them are actually totally correct anyway.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I really don't think that there is any tapping with that lick, I've seen alot of licks that stretch from the 12th fret to the 17th fret, which is pretty much the same distance. It might be a little tough at first to stretch your fingers out that much but the key is to really start slow and get used to it, and gradually building up speed. As far as exercises go, I'm not sure if I could give you any exercises that would be more or as helpful as learning that solo.

The key to stretching out your fingers is that you MUST keep your thumb behind the neck of the guitar, probably around the center of the neck depending on where it is most comfortable. You should really use your pinkie finger to play the 15th fret, so if you don't play using your pinkie finger, I would strongly recommend that you practice using it from now on. What you want to do is keep your hand in the SAME position for this entire lick, and just work on stretching your fingers out.

You can also try stretching higher up on the neck, the frets are closer together and therefore the stretches will be easier, then you can slowly move down lower and work on stretching some more. IF YOUR HAND STARTS TO HURT, TAKE A BREAK (sorry, but you can seriously injure yourself if you ignore pains like this)

Once you are able to play it slowly, I would definitely practice it with a metronome and try to get it up to speed. The key to playing it up to speed will most likely be keeping your fingers relaxed and gradually using smaller and smaller finger movements.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Disturbed- Stricken
Tuning: CGCFAD
Album: Ten Thousand Fists

I should have listened to my first instinct. I'd tuned to this tuning then found another saying it was probably C#/Db, I posted the new tuning without listening. I think this ones correct.

I'm learning the solo from a guitar pro tab I have, its charted very similarly to a you tube vid so I used it. It sounds cool and correct to be honest, even the stretch to the 15th sounds right. I guess with compression and muted open strings I can pull off the solo and get a nice single touch tapping/HO-PO thing going on.

A lot of hard practice with triplet scales and stretches is the only way forward. I'm still pretty pants overall really, but I like the fact I can tease a tune like this out :)

I do use my pinky, its been a goal of mine because I gained a lot of dexterity with Guitar Hero :oops:

ReplyQuote