DIY SoundProofing

17 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

i'm moving into a new place soon, its in a complex with other not so guitar "happy" people.
So I was thinking of turning my garage into a jam room - it's not that big - would fit one car easily though.

Only thing is i have no idea where to start :oops:

At the moment i think the garage door could be a problem so i thought of putting up a curtain to help block the sound there but what about the roof and walls??

Anyone have exp with this?

Thanks

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

try looking on http://www.audioforums.com it's a site specificly for recording, but they have a large section about setting up yur own studio.

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

You need a better source of info than me really, but as a general guide the cheapest and easiest way to do it almost always buying as many thick curtains from charity shops as you can find/afford and use them for the whole lot, not just the door.

Definately the optimium cost/damping ratio, and easy enough to just nail everywhere including the roof.

Also, if you see any advice anywhere about eggboxes - disregard that source of info completely. It's widely touted, but anyone touting it knows nothing about the subject. Eggboxes and similarly shaped foam etc. reduce reflected sound which is better for the sound inside the room, but they do nothing to stop sound passing through them. Curtains will also do that job quite well too.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@bford)
Reputable Member

Will you be owning or renting?

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Also, if you see any advice anywhere about eggboxes - disregard that source of info completely. It's widely touted, but anyone touting it knows nothing about the subject. Eggboxes and similarly shaped foam etc. reduce reflected sound which is better for the sound inside the room, but they do nothing to stop sound passing through them. Curtains will also do that job quite well too.

The best bit of DIY soundproofing I ever encountered was an old youth centre we used to rehearse in years ago. Someone had lined the walls of a biggish room with those old thin foam matresses - like you get on cheapo bunk beds - hung loosely from battens at the top, and then over the top of those they'd stapled on egg boxes. Even the door was done that way, and had thick foam draught proofing strips. The windows of course had been boarded up, and had the same matress/eggbox treatment as the rest of the walls. The place only had flimsy prefab walls, but from the outside you could scarcely hear anything a couple of yards away, when guys inside were playing their socks off with 100W amps!

Now I don't know how much of the exterior soundproofing was down to the eggboxes - possibly little if any, as C&S says, but inside it was bearable even at high volume. The lack of natural reverb meant the sound didn't as it were build up and get muddied, but e.g. snare shots remained crisp and distinct.

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

If the garage is unfinished inside you can purchase sound attenuating fibreglass insulation at most larger home centres and install that. This looks very similar to regular fibreglass insulation, but allegedly has much better sound regulation properties. I have no idea what the brand names are.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Will you be owning or renting?

I'll be renting the place. Which is another thing i'm thinking about. If/when i move there in future it should be easy to take off and clearout.

c&c how am i gonna hang curtains on the roof ?? :D

Thanks

Minus

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

c&c how am i gonna hang curtains on the roof ?? :DMight not be an option if you're renting, but a nail gun and lots of enthusiasm will fix most problems you come across in life :) If it's a garage you're renting it shouldn't be a problem to mount brackets on the walls, from them batons/2x2 across the top and nail the curtains/matresses/whatever to the batons. The air gap that creates will help a little too.

Like PVTele says, don't discount eggboxes completely, only in terms of volume reduction which is what I gathered was your main concern. The damping they're very good for, what I was trying to get across is the amount of places you'll find where people say 'just stick eggboxes up' and think that it'll make a difference to the volume outside the room. It's a lot of effort to find enough - you'd be mighty disappointed when it didn't make a difference.

I know from a friend's experience, my ears still hurt from both the un-damped rehearsal and all the whinging afterwards :lol:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Do give some thought to fire safety.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

"Soundproof" would be cost prohibitive.

Sound dampening is less expensive but no method would be cheap and you would have to get the homeowners permission. Not likely for spray-in foam.

You can use spray-in insulating foam that will deadon sound.
You can also use "sound engineered" drywall panels.
Both of these methods are easily attainable with fire ratings. That is where part of the high cost comes from. Manufacturers do not want liability for fire loading in people's homes.

Since you are only renting the place, a tube amp and attenuator or headphones may be best for now. 8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

Two main problems that allow sound to escape are light / thin walls and air gaps. In short use the heaviest most dense material you can find, concrete blocks are ideal but probably impractical for your situation, if you still need access through the garage door then something to cover it as heavy as possible and easily removable. Simple rule, if it dont weigh much then it wont stop much sound. Fill up every air gap you can but remember you still need oxygen in the room, you'd be amazed how sound can get through a tiny air gap between door and frame.

All other methods are going to be costly and take valuable space.

Lee

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help guys.

Minus

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Since everyone else has already made useful suggestions, here's the first thing I thought of when I read your description...

So I was thinking of turning my garage into a jam room - it's not that big - would fit one car easily though.

It wasn't very large
There was just enough room to cram the drums
In the corner over by the Dodge
It was a fifty-four
With a mashed up door
And à cheesy little amp
With a sign on the front said
"Fender Champ"
And a second-hand guitar
It was a Stratocaster with a whammy bar

Sorry, bit it just seemed to fit.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That Zappa has a lot to answer for! :D

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Haven't most of us been in "that garage" at one point?
It's teh best description I've ever run across.

And I just like quoting FZ

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2