Clear all

Do I have an illness?

18 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ok... I understand GAS and all its symptoms, but I think I might have an acute case of BASGU... buying and selling guitars uncontrollably.

I've been doing this guitar thing for a little over 3 years and I have owned over 15 guitars - but I only have 4 right now. It seems like I buy a guitar. Play it for a while, grow bored or find that it is not the EXACT guitar for me, and then sell it. I've been hovering around 3 - 5 guitars, but the exact guitars keep changing!

Is there a cure? Luckily I only buy stuff at a low price, and then flip for a higher price when I'm finished with it, some my illness isn't affecting the family budget... SO FAR!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Luckily I only buy stuff at a low price, and then flip for a higher price when I'm finished with it

That sounds more like a profit center than a problem :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Yeah, why can't I do that with cars

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member

Sounds like maybe you should focus on your playing. For me, I like using the same axe pretty much all time and feel like I play best on it. Whenever I pickup a friends axe or something it just feels different. I don't think I'd get into all that business of selling and buying until I was satisfied with my playing abilities. Aftter all, what do you need 4 guitars for if your not ready to really play any of them?

Good Day

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Rip, how true your words are... that's the problem! I'm obsessed with working on guitars instead of playing.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I've been around musos for longer than I've been one, and every single guitarist I know, without exception, has told me about at least one guitar they wish they'd never sold.

When I bought my first, I'd already decided I would never get rid of any, under any circumstances. It makes buying expensive guitars a pain as I can't trade up, but my favourite is still my first guitar so I guess it worked...

Long story short: Lack of funds limits my GAS, and BAGSU doesn't enter into it :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Is there a cure? Luckily I only buy stuff at a low price, and then flip for a higher price when I'm finished with it, some my illness isn't affecting the family budget... SO FAR!
I tried explaining that to my wife. She just doesn't believe me. I keep getting the "why can't you be happy with what you've got?" tirade. I even respond with the classic, "Baby, that's why I've stuck with you for so long!" but that doesn't get me too far. :wink:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

Consumerism!

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I'm definitely in the camp of "never sell another guitar again."

When I had my accident, and I had every reason to believe I'd never use my left arm again, let alone play another guitar, I sold all my gear.

Today, I'm scrapping pennies to try and figure out how I can replace the instruments and amps I got rid of.

72 Strat, 74 fender twin, 68 Gibson ES-175 . ..

When I finally decided that I was going to play again no matter what, I couldn't come close to affording the kind of kit I had back then. Don't get me wrong, I like my Artcore AF-75 a whole lot. But it's not my old favorite hollow-body, and it never will be.

So I've decided I just won't sell guitars and amps anymore. It makes me be a lot more carefull about my purchases up-front.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

After buying a few too many guitars, I keep thinking I should sell my Guilds. But I just can't, even if they are a tad big for me. The MIM tele is one thing, but the Guilds, even if they aren't the best Guild ever made. Maybe sometime I'll have to, but not yet.
Not wanting to sell anymore is however making the choice of (and payment for) a strat truly difficult.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Rip, how true your words are... that's the problem! I'm obsessed with working on guitars instead of playing.

:idea: This explains your eagerness to upgrade that Epi LP. You dig modding guitars. I used to, but now do it only as necessary. I like playing a lot better.

And I don't sell guitars anymore, either. Still miss my POS Teisco Del Rey, lawsuit Ibanez SG and Ibanez Artist.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I can't help with your illness, but I wanted to add that I have way more gear than I deserve based on my ability. 'Course one of those plastic stringed toy guitars would be all I'd need in that case. :)

Like most hobbies, when you first get into it you are gungho and get real into it. Buying this, trading that, modding this, fixing that, until eventually you level out and have good gear that satisfies you. At least that what I keep telling myself anyway. :)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

I want to know where you're able to buy guitars at a low price, and where you sell them for a higher price.
Are you fixing them up and selling on Ebay?
It has all the items of a very cool business!!!

As for whether you should continue - perhaps you really haven't found the perfect guitar for you!

There are tons of manufacturers and models, so it could take several years to try all of the Strats.
Even if you stay with Fender Strats, there's lots of different ones to try.

Have you tried some of the higher priced models - Signature series, Deluxe or Custom Shops?
It might be that you're not satisfied with the standard (inexpensive) model necks and pickups.
It's not uncommon to get a standard Strat with a great neck and replace the stock pickups.
Also, there's a great variation in quality in instruments (old and new), and only a few of them
are player's guitars that both sound and play great (instead of collectorable but not playable).

I'd say it's OK as long as you're still playing,

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I don't think there is a cure, but I think it's great. I don't sell my guitars, but I have connections to them, and they each are really important to me. However, you will have played lots of guitars, and could be well versed in the ins and outs of different makes. This could be an advantage for finding a guitar that you really want. You will know what you liked, and what you didn't!

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

In some cases I'm fixing them and selling them. Other times I'm just finding a good deal. I generally don't buy anything unless it is below what I consider fair value. I know myself. I'm probably just gonna sell it, so I make sure I can re-coup my costs.

I've rotated a ton of guitars, but I won't sell my USA Fender Texas Strat (with my Iron Maiden mod), my Gibson SG, and my first electric (Washburn G10-V customized with beer labels).

My main issue is that I just don't know what "other" guitars I like... so I like to try them out. I've had a bunch of LP knock-offs of different brands, but they all never seemed "right". I don't want to drop $1500 on a Gibson, but I fear that's what I'm holding out for.

I want to try a Carvin, a PRS, and a Gibby LP... but not at thoe prices just yet...

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2