Clear all

Do I need glasses

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Maybe this is a dumb question but I'll ask anyway. I use reading glasses when reading, and playing guitar. Lately it seems like my vision is giving me trouble when playing. The strings are blurred and my six string acoustic starts to look like a 12 string. It makes it harder to hit the right string. A friend told me I should not need to look anyway :) , but I do need to look sometimes. Anyone find their playing is better after getting prescription glasses? thanks :shock:

(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

I don't know how long you've been playing but it does take a while to hit the right strings when you want to... plus those things do vibarate a lot. Definitely worth a trip to the eye doctor to get checked out. Can't let a thing like vision stand in your way of playing guitar!

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It's probable that your vision has changed and you need a new prescription. Reading glasses are designed to only focus over a relatively short field of vision and, if your eyesight has changed, it is the periphery of that field that will be affected first (particularly "front" and "back").

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, been at for about a year, mainly I look at the strings if I'm trying something new. I never had presription glasses maybe its time

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

yeah, in general life, I would recommend a trip to the eye doctor if your vision changes... It also wouldn't hurt your guitar playing.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

see the eye doctor for sure :D Also, Have you had your blood sugar tested? I know it sounds dumb, but fluctuations in blood sugar levels will cause blurred vision.Its possible you might be having symptoms of diabetes :?: --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

in a word, Yes 8)

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@bford)
Reputable Member

Ok, first, how many fingers am I holding up? :P

Seriously though, it wouldn't hurt to at least get a check up. And if you are approaching mid-life your vision is bound to change because of age. I try to get a check up every other year. But I am one of the unlucky eye glass wearers.

Good luck.

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

To the eye doctor it is then (someday) another out of pocket cost. Funny I never noticed the ads under the lead posts advertizing what the threads about :) BTW i'm 51 years young

ReplyQuote
(@bford)
Reputable Member

Thats clever isn't it :lol: I never noticed that either.

I'm sure you've heard it said that around age 40 yours eyes start to develope a condition known as presbyopia myopia. If you have never had eye problems before then it could be you are finally seeing ( no pun intended) the affects of that condition.

http://www.avclinic.com/refractive_error_and_presbyopia.htm

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks I scanned over it for now, i'll check it later. BTW the diabetes test I had done several years ago but it doesn't run in my family. I guess another reason I prefer the classical sitting position the view is much clearer at that angle

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

Whenever I get a new song one of the first things I do is type it out on the computer using a bigger font and BOLD type. That way I can read it from up on the music stand. "What a drag it is getting old!"

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote