Notifications
Clear all

Do you play both Strat and Les Paul?

29 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I own a Strat, a Les Paul faded double cut (basically a Les Paul Jr. reissue with p-90s) and a Tele, but my preferred instruments of sonic mayhem are my G&L Invader (double fat strat clone with coil taps) and my G&L ASAT (Tele clone). The Paul gets used a lot in "power trio" type settings though. It's an aggresive, gnarly, rock 'n roll animal that doesn't really play nice with other guitars.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@fluid)
Trusted Member

I find I like to learn how to play things on my Strat, it's got a nice thin, fast neck and I'm a little quicker on it so picking up new things tends to happen a little faster. However, once I've learned something down pat and really want to have some fun with it I tend to break out the Epi G-400 vintage which is pretty darn similar to the Epi LP. It's got a slower neck so I have to be a bit more deliberate when I play but damn does she ever rock when you get her going...

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

l like the Brian Moore guitars a lot. l use mine with the Roland GR33.

ReplyQuote
(@artguitarhendsbee)
Estimable Member

yeah man, les pauls are really nice they ahve thier own feel, go for it. It might jsut take a whiel to get used to the heavier guitar and flatter fretboard (compared to your squier!)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

yeah, getting certain sounds out of a les paul is like trying to strangle a guy to death.

Do you mean it's easy or hard?

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I am a beginner who started learning about 5 months ago on an Squier Affinity Strat purchased as a beginner pack. I had it professionally setup and it "feels" nice. I added a Blues Jr. tube amp to the mix and the Squier sounds pretty good. Recently, a friend was selling a practically new Epiphone Les Paul Standard so I purchased it as well. It has a great sound, but it "feels" like trying to wrap my arms around a 67 Buick Wildcat. I like the idea of having both tones in my arsenal when I get to that level of playing.

Is it just a matter of getting familiar with the new axe?

/dwayne

Yes, the LP was also professionally setup. It is just that the LP is heavier, with a larger neck radius, and shorter scale while the Strat is. . . well. . .sleeker. I know it is like comparing 1st wife vs. 2nd wife and an unfair comparison.

I think I need to give it more time in my hands before I put it up for adoption.

They are pretty different I'll grant you, but like you said, give the LP at least as much time as you did the Strat. I had the reverse problem, going from an LP to a Strat. I think it might've been easier with an SG type Gibson because at least it's got a flat body, but the Paul with its carved top; it took me quite a while to get used to the Strat's flatness.

Then there's the fretboard radius, the larger frets on the LP (at least in my case), the string-spacing down by the bridge; all those little things. The string spacing really got me though; threw my picking off for weeks.

But maybe put the Strat in its case for a couple weeks. Hard to do I know, but you might just totally put it away and pretend like you never had it and just play the LP exclusively for awhile. I'd say keep them both, but give the LP its due. They're both great, especially if you're into recording, so keep them both but give the LP more time.

Best regards.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Double post :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I also play a Strat and an Epiphone Les Paul. Two VERY different animals. I understand what you are saying. I am more comfortable playing the Strat; it is thinner, fits my hands better, etc. The LP is heavier and doesn't quite feel as comfortable as the Strat, BUT, the LP has such a great tone. Just two very different guitars.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I play the LP until my shoudler starts hurting and then swithc to the strat or tele. The LP would be the one I'd keep if forced to rid myself of the others, but that's just me and they're all paid for.....

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

A lot of you guys say you don't like the Les Paul because of the weight, i've got a '92 les paul studio that is chambered on the inside and its really light, doesn't even hurt my shoulder. I don't know if they still make them or not but I bought mine from a guy locally and haven't seen one since. Just thought that might be a solution to the weight problem.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

FlyingV:

You are right, lots of LP owners complain about the weight of their guitars. Unfortunately, it is precisely the weight (a big ole slab of mahogany) that gives the guitar great tone. One big difference between a Gibson LP and a lot of lower end LP copies, is that the copies don't use the HEAVY wood. Even Epiphone's LP Standard is a mahogany/alder body, according to Musician's Friend's website. Pick up an Epiphone LP Standard in your local Guitar Center and then pick up a Gibson - you will feel a big difference.

My Epiphone LP is an Elitist model, which has a solid piece of mahogany body - which is why I bought it! So, I will put up with the sore shoulder, to get that LP tone. At half the cost of a "real" Gibson LP, an Elitist sounds pretty close to me!

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I just got in my evening comfy position, feet up on the desk, leaned way back, GT-6 and amp turned on ...... you know, the guitar instructors poster child for bad positioning ...... and I reached for my trusty LP and about yanked my strat into the ceiling. I had forgotten that I switched 'em late last night. :oops:

Yeah, there's a weight difference, but I agree with everyone else that the sound is worth it. Every now and then you do something silly though.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

yeah, getting certain sounds out of a les paul is like trying to strangle a guy to death.

Do you mean it's easy or hard?

i meant pretty tough, but i guess it depends on the guy. if we're talking the guy in your avatar, then i retract my statement.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

but it "feels" like trying to wrap my arms around a 67 Buick Wildcat.

/dwayne

If you think that's big, try on a Gretch some time

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2