Clear all

Does Anyone Else Do This?

18 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

With the press of a button, I just went from Red House to Black Sabbath to Carole King (courtesy of dhodge's lesson). I'm always doing that kind of switch when I listen to music. I'm equally all over the place when I play.

I've been trying to learn some harder stuff and then bam! Off goes the gain and pretty tunes start eminating from the once loud and thrashy amp.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@alangreen)

Ah, yes, I suddenly turn down the gain and start playing classic rock licks rather than trying to make the neighbours' ears bleed.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I do the same thing, but usually in the opposite order! I start out with pretty stuff and work my way to the gritty, distorted, rocking stuff! But, I live alone and my neighbors aren't close enough to make their ears bleed!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

my neighbors aren't close enough to make their ears bleed!

Just need a bigger amp EB! :lol:

I'm all over the place. I sometimes start out with the soft/pretty stuff, then end up playing the heavy/distorted stuff, and sometimes it's the other way around. No rhyme or reason. My one neighbor who is close enough for me to make his ears bleed, also happens to be my landlord, but he also plays bass in a band he's been with for about 20 years, so he could care less! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

But, I live alone and my neighbors aren't close enough to make their ears bleed!EB, you need to get an amp built with a couple of these for output tubes (valves):

GU-81M Large Glass Pentode. New & Boxed

(800W plate dissipation power pentode!)

You'll need some nice big speakers to go with them.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

electra,

i do the same thing, i start off quiet and mellow, but once i'm warmed up i rattle
the windows lol

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

OK.......... now searching for an amp that will make my neighbors ears bleed!!!!!! :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

I think we are all the same,. Start of doing one thing end up doing something else.

I think its called evolution . :lol:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

usually start on acoustic, fingerpicking....then switch to electric, clean channel - then go to metal stack setting and let rip......

I think it's called rock'n'roll!!!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

It seems to take my Hot Rod a bit to get warmed up. After about a half hour of playing it starts getting sweeter sounding with better crunch.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I jump all over the place when I practice, as far as genres go. Today I started with Bach and ended with blues.

Hey EB - I see you're in N TX - you're not in the fire zone, I hope?

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I am smack dab in the middle of the fire zone!!! But, luckily, it's been POURING down rain since Friday. Some areas have gotten as much as 9 inches! (We're flooding now!!! LOL!) We've been in a drought since about May last year. A couple of entire towns no longer exist! One fire came within 1/4 mile of a friends farm. Here's some pics.

If you'll notice in the sixh picture down (which was probably the first picture taken), you can see the next door neighbor's house, closer to the fire. It burned to the ground. My friend only got a little scorched and his house is still standing.

Thank goodness nothing near me has burned yet, and hopefully, with this much needed rain, nothing will any time soon! Knock on wood and keep fingers crossed!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

WOW! That's scarry EB! :shock:

I'm glad your friend's farm escaped the fire, and hopefully like you said, with all the rain you've been getting, there won't be anymore fires.

Glad you're safe. :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

YIKES, EB.

I hate to say this but I thought you were posting pictures of the neighbors house after you bought an amp to make their ears bleed and that was the result. :oops:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Ricochet, I've worked with those.
Actually, 2 pairs of them. They were the push-pull final amp stages of a 1000Watt AM radio transmitter (CKDR, AM640, Dryden Ontario).

The pre-amp that drives them was made of a pair of 6L6 tubes .

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2