Skip to content
Does GAS ever get i...

Notifications
Clear all

Does GAS ever get in the way of your playing?

33 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter  

When I have GAS attacks I suddenly can only think about the gear I want to buy. I read reviews about it, stalk it on eBay, check local listings, check music stores, read more reviews and try to find whether it's really worth it or whether I can find something better.... It's the first thing I do when I get up in the morning and the last thing I do before going to bed.

The point is that I find myself thinking and reading about guitar MORE than I actually PLAY!

The worst part is that I also do this for stuff that I KNOW I can't afford like, let's say, an Epiphone LP, or boutique pedals... and I do this all the time! :oops:

Lately I've been reading about EQ pedals, whammy bars, and since I first listened to Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs album a few weeks ago I find myself thinking about single coil guitars more and more.

I'm getting the EQ pedal tomorrow (a Danelectro Fish & Chips) cause I can't take it anymore. Hopefully I won't have any urges to buy anything else for at least a couple of weeks (hopefully the EQ will keep me glued to my guitar).

Do you have trouble playing until you get the object of your GAS attack?

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Nope.

But then I don't GAS very hard.

I've never really understood people who do, either.

I do lust after a few vintage pieces, and one or two really high end items. But when it come to the basics I have what I need.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

Nope.

I do gas on other guitarist's sounds and tone, though. And I'll take all that envy and direct it toward playing more. But I don't sit and dream about Stevie Ray Vaughan's wah pedals or anything.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

I haven't had a bad GAS attack since last year. I picked up a guitar (PRS CE 24) I had been lusting after for many months and got a great deal. I've been in pretty good shape since then and get nearly all the tones/sounds I want with my guitars and amp.

I figured I'd get a pedal or two someday. Just before Christmas I got a good deal on a used Zoom G2 so I picked that up, but I could have left it.

Like Clockworked, I've been focusing my energy on lessons, improving and playing.

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Happens to me a lot. Last year I went a little nuts with my GAS.

In 2006 I bought 8 guitars, sent 2 of them back, so that makes 6.

They ranged in price from $45 to $122.

I also bought 2 amps, yep cheapo amps too. EVJ and Behringer GM110.

4 efx pedals, a power supply, and a Line 6 Guitar Port for my PC.

3 sets of pickups.

A bunch of tools for working on guitars.

Oh yeah, a case and a gig bag.

I spend a lot of time reading about gear online. Heck its better than watching TV.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

GAS, you talkin bout GAS? i have blown, mine and my wifes vacation money . GAS ? i know the feeling, and there is no long time cure
its an illness, some of us recoup, some of us don't, and the ones that do, have major side effects 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

No. I like new toys and I'm always on the look-out for new stuff but the Numero Uno thing that's on my mind is always making new songs. What's the point of thinking about stuff you can't afford, just use whatever you've got.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Nope. I can't afford to buy stuff any more than once in a blue moon, so I can't let it make me lose my focus - I'd never get anything done :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

On the (thankfully rare) occasions I've let it get out of hand, yes, it has. But I'm relatively GAS-proof these days. There are a couple of things I want (another Tele, same model as my existing one, but sunburst with a tortie guard; and a Boss GT-8 ) I'll get when I have the money, but otherwise I'm fairly settled. I don't lust after those things, or think much about them - I just know I need them, and I'm saving - but my PC's on its last legs, so replacing that has to come first, or I can't do any recording!

The GAS I did get was along the lines of hunting out all kinds of little-known guitars (Gordon Smith, or Indie, for example) and wondering if one of them was meant for me. But I know my Strat and my Tele do make the sounds I want, and I love playing them, so why worry? Just get on with the music - which I do think about, most of the time 8)

ReplyQuote
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

I like my little Danelectro EQ pedal. :D I don't think that GAS ever gets in the way of my playing. I'm usually too broke to buy what I want, but just reading up on stuff makes me want to play more! :lol:

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Well, I dont GAS much any more. If I find something I like then I make a sensible plan to get it. Usually, there is a specific purpose for needing the item.

I am sort of a lucky person in that I get alot of time on the internet at work so I do most of my research there. I cant play the guitar there. When I am at home I am either playing guitar or studying writing.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@piratefromhell)

Buy a Dean... open the case... read the little leaflet inside the flap next to the lead and spare picks that say "U.S.A Deans come with permanent GAS" and read the telephone number to your nearest Dean dealer right next to it.

Of course some of us find the leaflet only after playing the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Does this answer your question?
Squier '51 roll-call
[ Goto page: 1 ... 31, 32,33]

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It used to, but I'm pretty well deGASsed now. Don't really need or want another guitar or any new gear. That new Diamond slide did get me charged up, though!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

AK: nothing wrong with a little day dreaming. My day dreaming still usually has less expensive things (because I'm cheap I guess) but that's almost worse because the stuff IS affordable lol. I mean for me at least, if I won the lottery or something I still wouldn't buy a Gibson ES175 for example; probably get the Epi version or even a Rondo Cool Cat (or is it Kool Kat?).

I guess it's because I'd feel 'out of my league' or something stupid like that.

I do sometimes suffer from a different sort of GAS (so I guess it can't be called that), which is more along the lines of "Man, if I'd only had this when I did that..." You know, like with a recording or something and you get a new piece of gear years later and you wish you'd had it back then.

That would be what--Past Gas?

Passing Gas?

WIHIBT Wish I'd Had It Back Then - see that doesn't really look like much :)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3