Clear all

Does it get any easier...

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@greenstuart)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

to learn songs from guitar tab the better you become???
I still take a long time to commit songs to memory-I have a feeling that no matter how good I become it will still take me the same time to learn a song because of the way my mind commits it to memory...
Does anyone agree???
Also does anyone have any tips on learning tabs???

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yes, it gets easier. Play it through once to make sure you get a rough sense of how it all fits together. Then start working on sections. Very often I work on the first several measures until I've got them memorized and then start adding measures.
But it will get easier. And some songs come together much more quickly than others.
Hope that helps.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Yup, it does. I used to have to pore over tab for ages just to get the hang of a song. Now a look through a couple of times is usually enough to get me going with it.

Good advice to work on sections, its the best and quickest way to learn.

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Yes, it REALLY does get easier! One of these days you're going to pick up your guitar and without even thinking all of a sudden it's all going to come together. Your fingers are going to do what they're supposed to do without your mind having to walk you through each and every note/chord. All of a sudden,you'll realize that "Hey!!!! I'm playing that song!!!! And I don't even have my tab in front of me!!!!" When I had that moment I wanted to run out into the street and yell to the world "I DID IT!!!!!!".............. it's a GREAT feeling, by the way............ go for it!!! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@piano-man)
Eminent Member

To me the easiest way to learn a song is to play it by the tab a couple of times, then put away the tab, and try to play it from memory. even if you forget, try to pick the tune out of memory. don't use tab as a crutch, or you will never memorize anything.

I started out playing riffs and for a couple of months, if I didnt have the paper in front of me I couldnt play it. Its kinda like following someone in a car to a particular place, and then trying to find it again on your own. Untill you have driven it without following, you will not remember how to get there.

But after you have learned something, don't forget it, and never play it again. Pick a song you really like, and learn it. playit time and time again then move on to another you like. Chances are you will remember something you like better than something you have never heard.

Funny thing happened to me the other day, I was playing one of my favorites, and all of a sudden it changed into a new song I have never heard, I was recording, so I just kept on going with it. I have no idea if it has ever been recorded before, but it was a great piece.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Piano Man,

Nice setup. Care to elaborate on all the gear that you have there.

Chris

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

That's a pretty friggin' sweet setup you've got there, man :D

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

you should learn to play by ear

ReplyQuote
(@piano-man)
Eminent Member

THANKS GUYS,
I started karaoke a couple of years ago, and Put this system together. 2600 watts for the highs into 8 peavey 2 way 15" cabinets, and 1500 watts for the subs into a couple of 18: subwoofers.

I play the keyboard & synths through it, and have just started using the Guitars, and bass through it. Plenty of sound for any occasion.

all the karaoke, and dj music is on the computer, so I can play along with just about any songs I want to. Its a lot of fun.

ReplyQuote
(@crazy-dave-miller)
Eminent Member

The more you play, the faster you learn. I noticed about 6 months after I started playing seriously (after claiming to play guitar for 6 years) that I learned how to play songs from tabs much faster. It all depends on how much you practice and try to incorporate new things in. What happens is that you develop a cognative memory for similar rhythms, riffs, and chord changes, and your fingers develop muscle memory. Unfortunately, learning to play guitar is like everything else in the world worth while (except drinking beer--that's easy): it takes time, practice, and patience. Often you don't notice how you've improved, but people who hear you on a limited basis (guitar teachers, for instance, can hear your improvement week-to-week, and should note to you what you've done better--and what you keep doing the exact same way).
So don't fret (I should be shot for that pun), you'll learn faster every day.
If you don't, give it a little more time.
If you still don't, then you're hopeless. No one's hopeless.

keep rocking the free world
http://www.myspace.com/twilitemotel

ReplyQuote