Skip to content
Does price make a d...

Notifications
Clear all

Does price make a difference when it comes to pedals?

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm sure there are exceptances to this question...but when it comes to pedals in general, are certain names just hype or what? Is there an actual difference in sound/quality based on the price/brand? I'm specifically looking at octave pedals right now, but and advice on pedals in general is appreciated. Thanks.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

good question.
we have little choices inpedals...generally.
what's out there are by big name brands.
those prices are close from one to another.
but I find it hard to compare because each maker builds different things into each pedal..one is slightly differnet from another,

so my feeling is there isnt much difference between big brand names and prices and quality.

Danoelectro pedals along with Zoom were less expensive (alot).
I found those brands to be pretty poor. noisy, cheap, doesnt sound the way they dscribe.

there are really amazing pedals out there now. boutique makers are getting creative. I see ads all the time now in guitar mags.

the pedals they make are higher priced.
is the quality there?
probably.
Analogman has remodded a Tubescreamer of mine. very nice workmanship.
he has a line of pedals. they are not cheap. from my experience I bet they are very nice pedals.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

The general rule of shopping is that you get what you pay for.

Their are many exceptions to this rule so you have to go for the second rule which applies to guitar equipment shopping: listen to it first. A $200 pedal may be great but it may not be what you are looking for and a $20 pedal fits perfectly. Go try the pedals and see what you like .

(I favor the high quality of the boss pedals but that's just my preference).

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Price matters. For example, the new behringer pedals are by far the cheapest on the market: $20 for every single effect. But they had to cut corners 'somewhere' to make it that cheap. So you get cheaper knobs and sliders which might break earlier and a plastic casing instead of a metal one. And that's just the exterior.Ofcourse, that doesn't mean the sound quality suffers, but I myself yet have to see a cheap pedal really outdo a properly made more expansive pedal both shooting for the same sound.

But as always, sound quality is in the ear of the beholder. Hendrix preferred to run an ultra-primitive fuzz-pedal into his relatively expensive amps. Just try it all and pick the one you like best. Which is more often the not the expensive one. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ajcharron)
Estimable Member

Arjen's right: you're steppin on these or stomping on them. I wouldn't trust plastics for this. The ones I use are all from Godlyke ( http://www.godlyke.com ); I've reviews of them in the reviews section: all metal and very solid. But these aren't the only ones (don't want to sound like an add; but they are good).

Make sure the craftmanship is good and solid because of the use you'll be putting them through: carrying them to practice and gigs in a backpack that you end up throwing to the other side of the room.

After that it's pretty much a matter of the sounds they offer. I wouldn't want to attempt to count the amount of distortion pedals on the market: that would be scary. I've two and they don't sound alike at all and down sound like the distortion channel on my amp either. Then, as someone said above, manufacturers are getting creative.

To resume, my advice: look for something that's built solid, then go for the sounds you want. As for price, that varies so figure out how much you need it before buying it.

ReplyQuote