Notifications
Clear all

Does this ebay auction seem odd?

31 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I couldn't resist (it's like some form of GAS), I emailed him, via craigslist, to ask if it's still for sale.

Yes, yes, yes, it's evil, but it feels sooooooooooo good. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

As soon as I see a zero feedback bidder, or one in the single digits I just opt out. I know everybody has to start somewhere, but I just don't want to be scammed.

Ha, I'm a "less than 10 feedback" sucker. Why? Because everyone backs off those auctions and you can get crazy good deals since no one else bids. I haven't been scammed yet. The key is to ask a couple of questions about the item before the end of the auction. If the guy or girl responds quickly, with intelligent information, in a helpful and friendly way I will continue to watch the item and bid if the price is right. If I get back one word responses, no response, or a response with stupid words or misinformation I back off.

Not just one question, either, but a few emails back and forth. You could say that I build a repoire with the person...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I couldn't resist (it's like some form of GAS), I emailed him, via craigslist, to ask if it's still for sale.

Yes, yes, yes, it's evil, but it feels sooooooooooo good. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

You really should get out more! :lol:

Keep up the good work.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You really should get out more!
Do you think you could mention this to the Warden?

I got a reply from the seller..........

"pick up and drop off only unless you have a legit ebay account."

I love the irony - "................a legit ebay account" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Final update:

The seller has been thrown off ebay as has the buyer.

The advert, on craigslist, has disappeared.

One for the good guys, I think. 8)

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

That's great, and made even more interesting by this transaction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220040961396

Apparently he sold it to a real bidder and then backed out! What a jerk.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

That just makes it even sweeter. :lol: :lol:

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Way to go Greybeard :D

I don't feel sorry for crooks.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Chef
(@chef)

Funny .. that I found this ... he listed it somewhere else on Craigs list ... and I have been trying to buy it ... it is the exact same pics as the ones in the auctions .... he is suppose to list it on ebay today for me @ 11:30 ... guess I am not buying it from him....
Ken

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Looks like the seller got busted. Check the auction links and look at the seller information. It says the seller is not a registered user! He got suspended by Ebay, but will be back in a few weeks - they always let them back, because Ebay wants the money.

ReplyQuote
 Chef
(@chef)

he just emailed me saying he posted it on ebay for me to buy here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270056365496&rd=1&rd=1

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Wow, that was quick! Already back in business!

ReplyQuote
 Chef
(@chef)

yeah I just reported him to ebay ... I am sooooo glad I did not buy it off Craigslisting Soooooooooooo glad !!

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Why would he bother posting it on ebay for you to buy? Why not just get you to send money via paypal?

And since he did post it, why not make it a private auction with a previously-agreed-upon BIN price so you could just go in and buy straight away? He put it up for three days with no reserve!!

Someone should bid $1.

P.S. Be careful Chef. If you've been corresponding with him and agreed to a price that you'd pay if he posted it on ebay, you may have a contract - especially since he has now incurred listing fees. I'm not an attorney; this is not legal advice.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 Chef
(@chef)

Why would he bother posting it on ebay for you to buy? Why not just get you to send money via paypal?

And since he did post it, why not make it a private auction with a previously-agreed-upon BIN price so you could just go in and buy straight away? He put it up for three days with no reserve!!

Someone should bid $1.

P.S. Be careful Chef. If you've been corresponding with him and agreed to a price that you'd pay if he posted it on ebay, you may have a contract - especially since he has now incurred listing fees. I'm not an attorney; this is not legal advice.

all good points,

originally I want to him to do the eBay auction I was leery of the pics he sent me, and I would only pay with paypal, He had stated the he had been on eBay for awhile ... but has 0 for feedback.... and now he posted a different pic of the Breedlove ...

If in fact that he is for real then I would think he would of made a private auction for just me to buy, like has been done for me in the past by others, but he didn't. He also emailed me stating that after he listed it he got a hit for MORE money then he was asking from me to end the auction and would not do it ... so I should Bid HIGH to make sure I got the Breedlove and not the other guy ...

I would think that he has another account and will pad the auction .
Ken

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3