Clear all

Dog Days

22 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK...Starting January 2nd I will be taking a day job :shock: I have not had one of those in about 30 years :lol: I have worked the graveyard shift (mostly weekends) for as long as I can remember. That means I have not played in a band since about 1981 :cry: So...I have decided on the goal of starting a band in the new year. Something along the lines of geo's band (Mojo Monday) Sort of blues, traditional country, rock-n-roll, song writer stuff. Its been a long time since I have been in a band so any advice on starting a band is greatly appreciated :D --ken

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I'm not really in a position to offer advice but just wanted to wish you well with the new job and the band.

Hope it all goes well for ya.

Be sure to keep us informed.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Good luck changing your daily rhythm, hope it all works out well. :D

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Great news Doggy! Welcome back to the world of the DayWalkers!
Who let the Dog out? :wink:
wish i lived in your area. :cry:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like a good excuse to ride the Harley to S.C. Gotta see the Dog and his band. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I hope Mrs Smokindog has landed a day job too - didn't you both use to work nights?

Hey, all the best, Dog.....you can play lead, rhythm, slide, bass and banjo - you got all the ammunition, fire the damn bullets!

Good luck mate!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Vic, Mrs smokindog is looking for a day job :D
Roy, any time your up for a road trip just PM me. Get yer motor running, head out on the highway 8)
Ive been on night for a long time, but lately I've been having trouble sleeping so its time for a life style change me thinks :wink:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Something along the lines of geo's band (Mojo Monday)

Wow. What an honor to be plugged like that. Thank you. Lets see. Advice. I think with you talent you are much better off starting a band rather than joining a band. You seem to be the type that is good at organizing things and such. Craigslist was a great place to look for people around here. I filled out a bandmix thing but its just been annoying more than anything. Maybe get in with your local open mic crowd. Most of our possible gigs in the near future have all come from one man that has been hosting this singer songwriter thing. If you got the equipment you might think of starting one up yourself. It would give you alot of exposure to musicians and you might get a good mix of people for your official band through the open mic.

I have found that there are just so many opportunities. You just have to be able to snatch them up.. and you actually have talent on the guitar so.. you shouldnt even have to go through the fear factor part. LOL Good luck.. Ohh and start a myspace page.. Easy way to have a band homepage

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Good news Ken! I hope you find some people who like the same styles of music as you, and who like to have fun. :) Good luck with the band. 8)

Oh, btw, that big ball of fire in the sky that you'll be seeing is nothing to fear..., it helps give life to us "DayWalkers"! :lol:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The worst thing he's likely to suffer is repeated visits by the local police, responding to neighbours seeing lights on in his house at night.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I think the first order of business is you need to buy some sunglasses and some sun block.

There's something up in the sky you haven't seen in years and it still burns.

And with greybeards statement involving the lights, you will now have a larger utility bill. :D

Good luck with the band. A side suggestion...you might want to hide the fangs when going out in public, Drac. :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Ken, good news mate
I suppose this means that I wont be seeing on the boards at odd hours of the morning (your time) late night (my time). I think a band is a great idea, I know you'll do really well.

cheers

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Sounds like you're in for a big change in lifestyle, Dog.

I think it's a whole different world for those who work the night shift.

Best wishes for a smooth transition to days!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

All the best for the sunlit life Smokindog. :)

I'm sure looking forward to hearing how you go with the band. I'd come and audition except that (in the highly unlikely eventuality that I made the cut) the travelling to band practice would kill me.... I'd have to leave before I arrived, just to get there in time for the next session... :?

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

All the best for the sunlit life Smokindog. :)

I'm sure looking forward to hearing how you go with the band. I'd come and audition except that (in the highly unlikely eventuality that I made the cut) the travelling to band practice would kill me.... I'd have to leave before I arrived, just to get there in time for the next session... :?

Cheers,

Chris

Naa, as long as you get a pretty fast jet I think you'll have the time difference in your favor.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2