Notifications
Clear all

Downloading tab when you don't own the song

49 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@mushin)
Eminent Member

Or you can just put it in your signature and it will automatically attach to every post you ever made.

Cheers

M

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I think it comes down to doing whatever our own consciences think is reasonable.

People have always sung each other's songs, way before the invention of printing and recording made it easier to increase the accuracy.

We all copy things from each other all the time. Look at books. We lend them, sell them second hand, quote from them, etc. We even have an officially supported library system that lends them for free and even provides photocopiers to assist us in copying the material! There is supposed to be a page copying limit but I've never seen it imposed or even explained on site. There is a system to provide a small compensation for authors, but it's not that accurate.

Nobody expects us to buy multiple copies of a book if we want to read to all the kids in our family, or even classrooms full of kids, year after year, from a single book. So a degree of sharing of copyright material is a long established community practice.

If I want the full, accurate music then I buy it ( a couple of books so far) - but if I just want to play around with a song then I have no qualms about downloading a free tab. If I wanted to play the music that I've bought with a friend, I would not expect to buy two copies.

In practical terms, it probably boils down to "how big is the rip-off", and more importantly "are you worth suing". I doubt if individuals are worth suing in this context.

The context of suing sites was that record companies felt that the new phenomenon of easily sharing music over the net might rapidly cripple them or put them out of business. The initial flurry of panic and legal action seems to have settled down a bit now. Companies like Sony (i think) apparently have a big stake in the ownership of music copyright, but also sell mp3 players that are promptly filled with pirated songs!

I believe that song-writers know that once their song is out in the public arena then they no longer have full control of it, just as a book author has no control on where their book goes or how it's used. Unless either are actually used commercially. Then you have some rights and leverage again.

As NoteBoat says "fair use" - and we all make our own judegements about what that means! :D

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

following on from Noteboat's answer....isn't the Easy Song Database for educational purposes?

I know I've learned an awful lot from there...first time I ever came across a 9th chord was in Wes's tab for "Badge", I learned about partial chords, powerchords and arpeggios from there as well....and if I ever got stuck on something, I'd ask....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I don't think that "Educational purposes" is any sort of cast iron legal protection - it's just the way that people are currently saying "look we're not ripping you off big time for profit here, this is just acceptable 'fair use' of your material".

Anyway, Vic we'll all have a whip round and bake you a cake with a file in it if you get banged away. :shock: Of course, the file might be an Mp3... :wink:

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Anyway, Vic we'll all have a whip round and bake you a cake with a file in it if you get banged away. :shock: Of course, the file might be an Mp3... :wink:

LMAO

.wav files are bigger though. We'll make it a party cake. Say hi to bubba for us, Vic! :P

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

LMAO, Chris....

JonnyT, Dogsbody, Matt Guitar and others haven't replied to this thread yet...probably too busy changing their undies....

In the few spare minutes I have these days, I'm actually working on FOUR different songs for the ESD...Get It On, Jeepster, Paranoid and Starting Over....do I put them on hold till this question's resolved, or do I post 'em anyway? I should be there or thereabouts in a couple of days...

I've found from previous experience that tabbing songs out requires listening to the same song over and over and over again...this time, I decided to do it differently, work out a few of the songs on my "TO DO!" list at the same time so's I don't get bored....just work on a verse or a chorus from one, then change to another...

Should be finished by monday, hopefully....just a question of polishing them up, checking mistakes etc....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

If we left it to the lawyers we'd all get pinched everytime we were singing along with a song in our cars.

As for lyrics being more acurate than the tab, who knows!!!

I remember a friends mother who used to sing along with Bad Moon Rising by CCR... "There's a bathroom on the right." And she wasn't the only one who thought that that was what they sang.

Great idea for a thread. Butchered Song Lyrics.. - What they were singing vs what you thought they were singing.

As for the lawyers... we could do without 95% of them.

Come the revolution, they'll be the first to go.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hmm, maybe I should record "Walton Prison Blues" - guess where that was written! - and tab it out, just in case I suddenly go missing... problem is, if I tab it out, would I have to sue myself for breach of copyright? Would I have to hire 2 lawyers, one to defend me and one to prosecute me? And will I accept weekly payments to me from me? This can of worms needs putting in a bigger can.....

And then they wonder why I drink......!!!!!!

Vic

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

....do I put them on hold till this question's resolved, or do I post 'em anyway?
Vic

Whats 4 more counts against you. When they put the suit on you, make sure it has 12 bars so you can sing to it.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Ha bloody ha....

I'm off to download the tabs for "Folsom Prison Blues" "San Quentin" "Jailhouse Rock" "Jailbreak" "I Want To Break Free" and maybe even "Tie A Yellow Ribbon 'round The Old Oak Tree"....I've a feeling they may come in handy before too long....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Great idea for a thread. Butchered Song Lyrics.. - What they were singing vs what you thought they were singing.There are already a whole bunch of websites devoted to misheard song lyrics.

And I've found a number of mistakes in online lyrics, too. But on the few occasions I've looked for a tab of a well known song, what I've found has been pretty much unrelated to the song.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member

For those who are old enough to remember and lived in the NY Metro area, Dave Herman (WNEW-FM) used to do a great segment on his show called "what'd he say?" He would play a lyric and listeners would call in and tell him what they thought the lyrics were. This would go on until someone got it right. I think some of the funniest "interpretations" were of the opening line of L.A. Woman.

102.7 WNEW - one of the greatest rock stations ever (RIP).

Steve

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Re - Butchered Lyrics....if anyone anywhere has ever managed to work out the lyrics to the song "Into the Valley" by the Skids, please let me know....

The singer (Richard Jobson) became a VH-1 presenter...the lead guitarist, Stuart Adamson, founded one of the all time great guitar bands, Big Country....at one time, in the 80's, they were as big as U2 over here...

Oh yeah - while I'm on the subject of Big Country - nice trivia question for you all....their first hit was "400 miles (Fields of Fire)"....which film did they, er, borrow the guitar solo from?

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Right now there's an ad for Advance Auto Parts running several times an hour on the local "Classic Rock" station. The first part of the jingle sounds to me like:

Advance Auto Parts
No matter when or where
Advance Auto Parts
The devil's waiting there

I've listened and listened to it and can't make anything else out of that line. I'm sure it's supposed to be something else, but that's the only way it'll come through my ears. Not a great way to advertise your business around here!
:lol:

I've been thinking about E-mailing Advance and asking them what it's supposed to say. Probably won't be good for the jingle singer's royalties if I do, though.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

102.7 WNEW - one of the greatest rock stations ever (RIP).

Steve

I'll second that.

Long live XM Satellite Radio. Music you won't hear anywhere on the dial.

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4