Notifications
Clear all

Downloading tab when you don't own the song

49 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@steves)
Estimable Member

I'm an XM subscriber and I heartily agree with you, but being a former DJ and lifelong 'NEW fan, there's still something missing. Earl Bailey rocks on Deep Tracks, but they seem to limit him. The personalities of Dave Herman, Pete Fornatel, Meg Griffin, Allison Steele, Scott Muni (prior to senility), et al, really added something to the music. Satellite radio still has not re-captured that part of it.

Hey - I just did a search and found this:

http://www.billdulmage.com/skeds/others/wnew-fm.html

The 'new lineup over the years. Wow - brings it back.

Steve

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

http://www.planetrock.com

the best classic rock from the 60's to today...

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member

Vic - LOL - do you ever sleep? :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Sometimes....during the day...when there's no cricket on TV....otherwise, what the hell's the point of sleep? Missing valuable music/TV/GN time...

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

....and besides, Planet Rock transmits 24 hours a day...I'd hate to miss one of my favourite oldies....

Vic

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

BTW Vic, you might want to take "Blood on your Hands" off your computer. It won't look good in front of the judge! :P

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I don't need any cricket on TV. I can hear them singing all around my front door now.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Judge? Long hair (well OK it's a wig) loud voice very self opinionated.... gotta be an old rock'n'roller, I'm already ahead of the game, already got the sympathy vote....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Sometimes....during the day...when there's no cricket on TV.... :D :D :D

Vic

Cricket.... aahhhh, cricket... heavy sigh.... :cry:

There was once a time when Australia was quite good at cricket..... sob... :cry:

England look like wiping the floor with us in this Ashes series, and deservedly so..... :cry:

So it's lucky that I was born in Oxford. :D

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

do I put them on hold till this question's resolved, or do I post 'em anyway?
Problem is, it really wouldn't be resolved until a court of competent jurisdiction ruled on the specific case (ie: the ESD), and any applicable appeals have been resolved. Other than that, it is really nothing more than someone's legal opinion. While legal opinions are relied upon every day, they really aren't protection.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

England look like wiping the floor with us in this Ashes series, and deservedly so..... :cry:

So it's lucky that I was born in Oxford. :D

There was me, getting ready to give you some serious grief when we whip your a**es in this and the next text, and then you bowl an out swinger that Hoggard would have proud of :D

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

The bands are beginning to catch on - a lot of band websites now have free downloads and some even have Tabs.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

There was me, getting ready to give you some serious grief when we whip your a**es in this and the next text, and then you bowl an out swinger that Hoggard would have proud of :D

:D

Yes mate, I can change sides faster than a Shane Warne leg break if needs be... :shock: Actually, there's been a lot to enjoy about watching England play this series, even though I do support Australia.

BACK ON TOPIC:

Vic,

In these cases, I think that it's usual to give some sort of "Cease and Desist" warning rather than just launch straight into the very expensive business of suing people.

In other words, it would be likely that if anybody did object to anything on this site that they would first send a simple (and cheap) letter from their lawyer saying "Take that material down.... or else.... we'll.... we'll have a major tantrum... and you wouldn't want that on your conscience would you..." etc.

I wouldn't worry too much anyway, I'd say it was very unlikely now. (But just in case, you can always sign over any valuables you may have to a 'good friend' in another country.... Australia for instance.... :twisted: )

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Chris,

Vic's not likely to have much to his name after he's bought my beer at Manchester Airport :lol: :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Some of the distinction must involve earnings. It is, after all, fair use to quote someone but not fair use to sell their words as your own.

Is it a copyright violation if your band performs a song by an artist at a local club but doesn't pay royalties?

There is a lot of grey area here. It may in the end be sophistry, but I tend to think of most posted tabs the same as I think of songs performed in a club or at an open mic night. Artists know people do this and they don't intend to collect royalties from each and every band in the land. Indeed, the fact that people are performing and learning their songs is, frankly, in their interest. It keeps their songs alive and increases their popularity.

When official music is published or recorded, however, the artist intends to earn from the sales. Pirating these official releases and distributing them is a violation of copyright because you're depriving the artists, the sound engineers, the factory workers, and the hard-working transcribers of income. And if you sell them, you deserve to live in the third ring of Dante's inferno.

At any rate, that's a workable distinction that assuages my conscience.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4