Clear all

downstrokers: has any one noticed?

38 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Two questions:

1) Why is playing power chords bad? Weren't they created because they don't sound messy with distortion not because playing normal chords is too hard?

2) Where in the original post does it mention that they are playing only power chords?

Playing powerchords isn't bad, nobody has said that it is. Powerchords are an only downstroke kind of thing. The o.p. dosen't say anything about powerchords, I speculated as to why I believe many younger players are into a downstroke only mode. Truth is powerchords are easier to learn if you want to learn to play songs quicker, they are also a bit limiting as is playing only downstrokes.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Two questions:

1) Why is playing power chords bad? Weren't they created because they don't sound messy with distortion not because playing normal chords is too hard?

2) Where in the original post does it mention that they are playing only power chords?

Playing powerchords isn't bad, nobody has said that it is. Powerchords are an only downstroke kind of thing. The o.p. dosen't say anything about powerchords, I speculated as to why I believe many younger players are into a downstroke only mode. Truth is powerchords are easier to learn if you want to learn to play songs quicker, they are also a bit limiting as is playing only downstrokes.

100%

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@roundeye)

If it was the first time these guys played with you "Geezers", could be they were a might nervous and were sticking with something they knew they wouldn't flub in front of the masters. :lol:

Seriously though, they might have just been a little "Tite" and not really at home yet. You probably could tell if this was the case, but who knows, yungun's can be a bit skittish.

- Jeff

Nothing to see here...

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

yeah, we opened some eyes. they are cool dudes. one has an immaculate Fender jazzmaster. light green. they play with heart and that is what matters.
so if you are in minneapolis on a friday night...top in. been going on for ninteen years now.

I recorded part of that jam. I will upload a snippit after work today; around 7PM central time.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@iliketheguitar)
Estimable Member

Powerchords are an only downstroke kind of thing.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with this. I almost always play powerchords with alternate strumming.

Well I guess it just depends on the sound that you want. When you're playing playing punk/metal you want a uniform sound to you're rythym, so you use only downstrokes so that the chords do not vary in sound. Also altternate picking gives a different feeling than only downpicking. Or is it just me?

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Its not just you iliketheguitar, I totally agree.

We all know that alternate strumming gives a different sound on the up and the down, and this is often not wanted in modern punk-pop-rock-metal-etc songs, and so all downstrokes are needed to keep that uniformed sound.

But of course, powerchords can be played alternately, there is no resason why not. It just won't sound so much like that favouite band you are trying to immitate :lol:

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Powerchords are an only downstroke kind of thing.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with this. I almost always play powerchords with alternate strumming.

Well I guess it just depends on the sound that you want. When you're playing playing punk/metal you want a uniform sound to you're rythym, so you use only downstrokes so that the chords do not vary in sound. Also altternate picking gives a different feeling than only downpicking. Or is it just me?
Only on strumming, really.

The note will sound the same if you're hitting it the same. For alternate picking you can move faster and cleaner. Down picking you're more prone to make a mistake since you need to move a lot furthur to get to the string.

On strumming, obviously a chord would sound different strumming down than it would up.

ReplyQuote
(@iliketheguitar)
Estimable Member

Sorry I meant strummiing :oops:

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3