Clear all

drills, scales, excercises

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i've been playing for a while, and i honestly hate playing those things. they're not musical at all. when i try to fit in a lick ot technique or whatnot into my playing, it ALWAYS comes out sounding forced.
learning songs, different styles, playing the notes you want, getting in a groove, that's what playing the guitar is about for me, not sitting there for a half hour running up and down G myxolydian.

(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member

play what you like to play man.

there are some people (like me) who accualy enjoy practicing scales.

have i lost my mind ? :shock:

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

play what you like to play man.

there are some people (like me) who accualy enjoy practicing scales.

have i lost my mind ? :shock:

Haha, nah... I like encorporating scale runs into my playing after doing some melodic work, i think it's a pretty common thing to do. Good advice though, it's all about having fun and doing what you want to do.

I've been stuck in a bit of a rut lately, I haven't been able to really sit down and practice anything... but I started tonight practicing some really simple, but melodic solos, I really want to work on my soloing and i think learning stuff like that will really help me (since I feel I have a good grasp on theory and scales). The point is to really figure out what you want to do, and figure out ways to do it... who knows, you might be putting too much importance on scales.

Oh, and another thing, most music outside of jazz music is based around either blues, minor or major keys, not modes (generally). I'm not saying to forget the modes absolutely, but to be honest, unless you're a huge fan of shredding or a fan of jazz, i would practice learning the major, minor and pentatonic scales across the neck, and learning licks that go along with it.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

These are are all part of playing guitar. I spend a considerable amount of time devoted to just playing scales and exercises. Get creative with them thats when some very interesting sounds start to emerge.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@mitchell)
Eminent Member

I really like playing scales. I sit and play them for hours and hours. I think it's more to do with the fact I feel like a much better player the more I run threw scales.

Last i checked playing guitar was supposed to be fun, I say keep it that way.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I'm another one who enjoys scales. :o

Maybe some people have very serious teachers who are overly strict about how you do them? Being mostly self taught I just do a run or two "straight" and then start improvising up and down to see what I can find. I vary the order, chuck in hammer-ons, pull-offs, bends, vibratos, whatever feels good at the time. :)

To me, it's all about learning where all the notes and sounds are. It's also about finding out how they sound in different orders, with different note lengths, etc. Sometimes I'll even sing the note names aloud - trying to inject a bit of character into it as I do so.

I feel as if every time I play scales, I'm not only learning the positions of the notes on the fretboard (and the notes that I can use for a particular key), but also getting to know the sounds and feels of the guitar in a really useful and enjoyable way. And there's no "get everything in the song right" pressure, so it's quite relaxing. :)

As for just learning other people's songs, that's great too - but, to liken it to finding somewhere to live, I was happy to rent for a while but I always wanted to design and build my own house one day (I did too, but that's another story..).

Whatever your path though, the most important thing is keeping it interesting and enjoyable. You should feel like you can't imagine NOT picking your guiatr up every day. And that means different motivators for each of us. :)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

they're not musical at all.

No offense, but if your scales aren't musical... it's not the scales fault.

Any melody can be made to sound musical by varying the dynamics, attack, phrasing, etc. Even a scale.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You need to be creative and imaginative, step beyond the normal. Expand your horizons and forget everything you know till the next line comes along. What I'm saying is absorb all the guitar knowledge you can. Put it on the back burner then set your heart and soul free. Another way to look at it is to stop thinking and play. One day you'll pick up your guitar and everything will sound so good you won't want to put it down.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

note, chris, and foorrok, nailed it, you have to learn the fret board
no better way than scales,i"ve been playing for 4 or 5 months now and starting do do some ok solo's , just from the minor pentatonics and the
blues scale your soloing options are almost limitless. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

I love playing scales.....scale sequencing, 3rd intervals thru scale shapes, reversals, 3 note per string runs...then if that get's boring move on to another scale.....major, minor, harmonic and melodic minor, pentatonic. I play for hours on end with scales. :D

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Alot of rockers forget about arpeggios too, but they're pretty useful in creating some really melodic lines, I don't really like sweep picking them much, which is a more obvious place that you'll find them but I do like when i hear them in solos: for example the first solo in Floyd's "Comfortably Numb".

There are other scales that you can have a look at outside of the typical major, minor and modal scales: I've always liked the sound of the whole tone scale, harmonic minor (which IS a minor scale, but sometimes overlooked), and diminished scales and arpeggios.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

i usually mess around with some chords than figure out what scale theyre in and practice soloing or writing melody lines over that. helps me learn what sounds good in the scale rather than a pattern.
I enjoy drills etc, coz i have quite poor coordination so they give me a hand.

but yeah, whatever floats ya boat :D

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote