Clear all

Drum machines?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, me and my 2 friends(bass and a 6 string) have started playing alot together, its kinda like a band but we don't have all the positions filled. Anyway weve been having a bit of trouble with rhythm as we don't have a drummer to help us keep count, so I thought it would be cool to get a drum machine. The only problem is that I don't know anything about them. What are some popular ones in the 50-90 range? Its gonna need a speaker, so i was wondering if I could hook it up to a 15 watt marshall amp? Can you program a drum machine for a whole song, like can you set up something to go for 30 measures and then change tempo on its own? thanks.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

you can buy a program called FruityLoops, I'm not sure how much it runs for but you can make some pretty cool drum loops to play over you're computer speakers. You can also get an adapter from radioshack for about 5 bucks to run it through the output on your soundcard to the input of your amp. You can also program it to do whole songs and even drum solo's if you get good using it. Take a little learning but if you've got any question's about I might be able to help you out with it. I use it all the time. You can even add a violin or harp or whatever you may want to it

I only have the demo right now, it's free and works good. Can't remember where I got it, just search google for Fruityloops demo u should find it

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Yeah just download fruity loops demo, its free. Just no saving. Just leave it open.

Its like fruityloops.com or something. They just came out with version 5 recently. Its cool.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I would just get a computer program, but we don't have a computer where we practice. Is there a standalone box or something that works just as good?

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

The lowest priced drum machine I've seen was $150 @ musiciansfriends.com

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

You could check eBay: something like

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38069&item=3767884077&rd=1

Usually what you do is program a few 'patterns' - which are a measure long, - where you have count-off, intro, verse, chorus and other sections, and then assemble them into a complete 'song' and play that back through an amp. You could play it back through a guitar or keyboard amp so it'lll be loud enough, and then - just jam away.

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member

Or just pick up something like a Digitec RP50 that has drum effects on it.
Should go for around $60.00. It's pretty basic though, you'd have to turn it on and off manually.

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

I know there are some effect pedals that have midi-based drum machines in them... good luck finding a cheap one though :(

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote