Clear all

Drummer a gone

20 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok this realy sucks. My drummer is joining another band, but says our band will be his "main focus". Should i beat him up or what? Also, can any one tell me what this cord is?I know i could graph it, but i also wanted to know if there was a faster way to do it.

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

It's a D dominant 7th chord, and you should probably relax about the drummer thing, alot of musicians like having alot of work (lots of bands, for example).

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

assuming you have high E on top, that's D7 (low to high: A,D,A,C,F#,A)

There's no problem with musicians being in more than one band... until one band gets popular. You might be the 'main focus', but if you have a gig Saturday night that'll pay everyone $50 each, and his other band has a gig that pays $300 each, guess which one he'll show up for?

So if you have band members that have potential conflicts, you need backups. Depending on your style of music, you might want to get to know the 'jobbers' (freelancers who sit in for a night - but probably for a much higher price tag than you'd pay out in an even split) or audition other people to sit in for the occasional gig.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Lots of bass players juggle bands, but one band has always been enough hassle for me.

If your drummer is going to try this, then he (or she) needs to communicate very well. As soon as one band has a gig, they must not wait and tell the other band immediately. Otherwise both bands could schedule a gig the same night.

And as NoteBoat said, it is not a bad idea to have a backup. This drummer may drop your band without notice. On the other hand, if he comes to practice and finds your backup practicing with you, he may decide to drop the alternate band.

And as far as I know, it is perfectly legal to beat drummers in every state. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well yeah but heres the thing, were getting realy good and the drummers foccus just finaly got on to the band, meaning that this guy will make some good beats that can actualy catch up to me and the other guitarists speed and our flow of play. i think 2 bands are kind of going to break the foccus. and a that a no good.There's no problem with musicians being in more than one band... until one band gets popular. You might be the 'main focus', but if you have a gig Saturday night that'll pay everyone $50 each, and his other band has a gig that pays $300 each, guess which one he'll show up for?

So if you have band members that have potential conflicts, you need backups. Depending on your style of music, you might want to get to know the 'jobbers' (freelancers who sit in for a night - but probably for a much higher price tag than you'd pay out in an even split) or audition other people to sit in for the occasional gig.

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

it sounds like a diminished chord.

and drummers typically play in several bands; they just have so much energy.
dont sweat it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Diminished chords sound a bit like dominant sevenths, because a dominant 7th chord contains a diminished triad - iit's the top three notes in root position: C7 (C-E-G-Bb) contains Eº (E-G-B).

But when you see a diminished chord symbol, it's common to play a fully diminished 7th (1-b3-b5-bb7, which would be E-G-B-Db for Eº)

Notice how close that is to the dominant 7th... C and Db are only one fret apart.

But the chord is question is still D7 - the notes are D-F#-A-C, the 1-3-5-b7 of the D major scale.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Diminished chords sound a bit like dominant sevenths, because a dominant 7th chord contains a diminished triad - iit's the top three notes in root position: C7 (C-E-G-Bb) contains Eº (E-G-B).

But when you see a diminished chord symbol, it's common to play a fully diminished 7th (1-b3-b5-bb7, which would be E-G-B-Db for Eº)

Notice how close that is to the dominant 7th... C and Db are only one fret apart.

But the chord is question is still D7 - the notes are D-F#-A-C, the 1-3-5-b7 of the D major scale.

:)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I started to finger that chord from the diagram, thinking to my self" darn, I don't have that many fingers...OH..it's a barr chord" DOH :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It always a good idea to have alternates for not only drummers, but everyone in the band. --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

And as far as I know, it is perfectly legal to beat drummers in every state. :D

Man , is that hilarious !! :lol: (Actually i don't like the idea of beating up drummers as they are probably stronger and know how to deal with sticks..)

But , i won't like drummer bashin' up cauz i am getting a drumset tomorrow hopefully.

And tomorrow i finish with exams...

Be ready for a great post from me tomorrow.

Hope everything turns out well for me , :D

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

ok i'm sorry but could you explain what your saying there a little bit more. i know a little bit but i'm not sure if i've got it right. so what your saying is that the chord contains a D seven triad form
(not an actual Dseventh) and its a diminished wit a 7th . and its not a C any thing. the root note ( I think) is an A.

GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Didn't mean to confuse you with the foray into C - I always use C for examples, because there are no sharps/flats to confuse.

The chord D7: D-F#-A-C

this contains the F#º triad: F#-A-C

but when you see the symbol F#º you would usually play a fully-diminished 7th: F#-A-C-Eb

there's only a half-step difference (Eb to D) between this chord and a D7.

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I git it

GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Just don't order any more pizzas from the company he works for. 8)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

:twisted:Just don't order any more pizzas from the company he works for.
Yeah, I'll just say i'm going on a Diet

GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2