E/G#

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

So, had my first guitar lesson in a year and it was a blast. We are learning "Making Memories of Us" which I will be singing and playing to my bride on May 3 next year. The first part of it is E - B - E/G# - Asus2 and that B to E/G# is really tough for me. I'll just keeping playing it over and again until I get it, but I just wanted to come and whine about it for a little bit.

:)

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@progressions)
Reputable Member

Heh, slow and steady! It'll get easier with practice. (You know that, but somebody had to say it!)

Jeff

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Jim, make it easy on yourself! Put a capo on the 2nd fret and play D - A - D/F# - Gsus2.

Hope that helps.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

If you play the "F" shape on the first four strings at the seventh fret for the "B":

and then move up to the fourth fret with the "D" shape to play the E/G#, the chord transition isn't too bad at all:

You can play both chords as mini-barres. You might try it that way if you haven't already.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Another way of doing it (seems tough at first, but after a while it'll seem natural!) is to play the B as a barre chord at the second fret - x24442, then move the barre up two frets and play a C chord on top of it....476454.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Barred C is evil, didn't you know?

PS: Congrats Geoo!

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I dont think I am going to use a capo on this one. I have made a habit of making the songs I want to play easier over the past (almost) three years. Because of that I dont really know anything more and just very basic chords. Nope, going to tough it out. Actually it has gotten much easier the past day. Starting with this song I hope to create a new habit of putting my head down and really getting to know each song I learn.

Thats not to say that some of the chords you guys suggested were bad ideas but I am going to play this one as written.

Thanks guys
Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Barred C is evil, didn't you know?

Of course I did - but seeing as I'm having soooooooooooooooo much trouble trying to get the intro to "Under The Bridge" down, I just wanted to share the fun around......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@simonb)
Eminent Member

I realise I'm a few days late, but the fingerings I tend to use when I am playing that transition (B to E/G#) are B - x2440x (with the high e muted with the base of my index finger) or x24400 (which is actually a Bsus4 I think and so may or may not work in that spot in the song) and E/G# as 4x2400.

This means my pinky can stay put as a point of reference, my index finger moves from the second fret on the A string to the second fret on the D string and my ring finger up from fourth fret on the D string to the fourth fret on the low E string (though I think I just made it sound a lot more complicated than it really is :) ).

With a bit of practice it becomes a fairly easy transition and you get the nice sound of the open treble strings in there as well - what more could you ask for? :D

ReplyQuote