Clear all

Ebay Chop Shop

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hope that this is the place for this post.

I just ran across what I think is a stolen guitar being sold as parts. This guy is selling the body, neck, hardware, and case in seperate auctions. Plus his rating is a zero so he probably doesn't know that people can see all of his auctions at once(maybe). These are his only auctions. They are matching parts. Thats amazing to me. What gaul. The body is an Ibanez 470XL body and he is selling an Ibanez 470XL neck. Imagine that, what are the chances that this guitar is NOT stolen. Plus a complete hardware set for an RG. Check out the case link. He states that the lock on the case is locked and he doesn't have the combination. LOL.

Some poor slob is sitting at home right now without his Ibanez RG. All alone with no tones to keep him warm.

That is sad.

Anyway here are the LINKS.

His name is mikepinion(EBay ID). Here is the link to his items for sale.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmikepinionQQhtZ-1

Item number one, IBANEZ 470XL BODY LOADED & WIRED...2002

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-RG-470XL-Guitar-BODY-LOADED-LOOK_W0QQitemZ150007932172QQihZ005QQcategoryZ33043QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Item number two, IBANEZ 27 IN. SCALE NECK FROM AN IBANEZ 470XL 2002 MIJ

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-RG-WIZARD-II-MIJ-NECK-FLAWLESS-27-IN-SCALE_W0QQitemZ150007929590QQihZ005QQcategoryZ33043QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Item number three, IBANEZ RG,PRESTIGE,JEM,COSMO SET LOTRS,NUT,TUNERS,KNOBS

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBANEZ-RG-PRESTIGE-JEM-COSMO-SET-LOTRS-NUT-TUNERS-KNOBS_W0QQitemZ150007926031QQihZ005QQcategoryZ33043QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Item number four, The case

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-RG-JEM-DELUXE-Hardshell-Guitar-Case-Prestige_W0QQitemZ150007918761QQihZ005QQcategoryZ33043QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you think this guitar is stolen and you have an ebay account. Do what you think is right.

Thanks!

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I found another guy from the same town(Thomasville, NC), selling Ibanez parts. Coincidence, maybe. Does this have any effect on your opinion of the other guy, mikepinion. Do they know each other?

cynister69 is his name. THis guy has a 100% rating at 109. Does this mean anything. IS he selling stolen guitar parts too. Am I jumping the gun. Will Ted Baxter ever be an anchorman again. Stay Tuned!

Here's the Link to his auctions.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcynister69QQhtZ-1

Adios.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

People sell a guitar in parts all the time, simply because you earn more. The guitar itself is worth about $150 in one part (I got my RG550 with higher quality parts for $200). He's currently at $120 with four days to go, and he has the chance of a bidding war erupting on each of his items seperately. If he is lucky he might run off with an extra $50.

Besides, I've never heared of people selling stolen guitars in pieces, they just sell them in one to get rid of it asap.

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I thought the guitar was worth a lot more than that. Then hopefully no one had the guitar stolen. KOOL

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Nope, Rgs are super ultra cheap, mostly because Ibanez has pumped these out in massive numbers for quite some time. My RG550 is from '91 and they were already floating around in the 80s. They are excellent guitars, the 550 retailled for about $650 at the time so if you have a bit of spare money you might want to check one out. :D

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I found another guy from the same town(Thomasville, NC), selling Ibanez parts. Coincidence, maybe. Does this have any effect on your opinion of the other guy, mikepinion. Do they know each other?

The auctions are very similar in format, pictures, etc., but even if they are the same guy it means nothing as to whether or not the gear is stolen. If you are doubtful, ask for serials and check the stolen guitar registry http://www.stolenguitarregistry.com/

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

While I don't LOVE the idea of chopping up a guitar to sell in parts, it really does make sense from a money standpoint. MANY people sell parts on eBay.

In fact, just search for "Fender Strat Body" - you'll find about 5 pages worth of guitar bodies.

I don't think they are stolen, but I will tell you that there is a guy who sells under the name "Reliable Fender" or "The Stratosphere" and he has 20 guitar bodies (most MINT) up for auction at ANY ONE time. He also, of course, has all the necks and hardware to go with it - all listed separately. We used to think he ran a guitar shop and these were trade-in guitars... I don't know. Seems weird that he gets SOOOOO many strats and teles.

I guess I wonder - why would you immediately think the guitar was stolen?

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

A lot of people also now ("now" meaning since the inception of the site :wink: ) use eBay as an ersatz stock market. Buying things and almost immediately turning around and selling them at higher prices. Not always appreciably higher, but high enough to make some sort of profit. This is one of the reasons why no one should ever think he or she is getting the "best possible price" simply because an item is bought on eBay. More often than not you're okay, but don't take it as a given.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I think vanzant38 is just being realistic. He doesn't trust what seems to be deals too good to be true. Thats why we should ask questions.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@presbystrat)
Eminent Member

If I sell my Squier Strat, I plan to sell it in parts. I will get more money for it and it is easier and safer to ship. It would only make sense for a guitar with a bolt on neck though.

ReplyQuote
(@catcha)
Trusted Member

If I sell my Squier Strat, I plan to sell it in parts. I will get more money for it and it is easier and safer to ship. It would only make sense for a guitar with a bolt on neck though.

Well you be careful to let vanzant38 check the serials out first , otherwise you risk a visit from the fraud squad :lol:

Sherlock and Watson would be proud :lol: :lol:

If you think this guitar is stolen and you have an ebay account. Do what you think is right.

Hope your not suggesting people attempt to put in false bids in an attempt to scuper this probably honest dealers chance of making a slim buck ? just because you have a hunch .

As has been said there are loads of people selling parts seperate on Ebay and most are certainly not stolen , I do it regular myself and make as much if not more some months than I do as on the completed items.
Sometimes I do it after I have stripped a guitar down for cosmetic repair or service , Ie laquuer/paint or binding and then maybe due to more demanding stuff it doesnt pay for me to spend anymore time on it so sold as parts rather than a cut price project.
There are always people willing to buy seperate parts for cusomising but dont want the cost of complete guitar.
Its a viable and decent service to the guitar customiser and the seller should NOT have his details spread with an "option" to attack his sale unless you have clear proof that he is being fraudulent.

Dont give a shite about punctuation or spelling , I have to do that all day at work.
Free times for rocking !!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I don't think that was suggested. Perhaps bid or not bid. Perhaps report the listing.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I don't think that was suggested. Perhaps bid or not bid. Perhaps report the listing.
Unless you are absolutely certain that the goods are stolen, do NOT report it to ebay. Ebay may well pull the auction, whilst they check the actual status of the goods. They also notify all bidders of the fact that the auction has been removed for possible irregularities.
If the items can be shown not to be in any way illegal, ebay will allow them to be relisted. The original bidders are not told that the removal was an error - they still think that the seller is bent.

What you have effectively done is defame the seller. Is that your intention? If not, then make 100% certain that you KNOW (and can prove) the goods were stolen.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@boomshanka)
Eminent Member

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

People sell a guitar in parts all the time, simply because you earn more. The guitar itself is worth about $150 in one part (I got my RG550 with higher quality parts for $200). He's currently at $120 with four days to go, and he has the chance of a bidding war erupting on each of his items seperately. If he is lucky he might run off with an extra $50.

Besides, I've never heared of people selling stolen guitars in pieces, they just sell them in one to get rid of it asap.

I really wish people wouldn't do this. I mean, it's okay to sell parts, but when they cut up vintage instruments...it's just sad. It's like they're killing the insturment.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2