Clear all

eg: A Capella

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, I just wanted to ask who trys to transcribe a capella songs for guitar?
I just ask, because yesterday I first started to learn a song from Red Hot Chili Peppers with (I don't know why) not that much motivation.
I made a break, listended to my favorite a capella band and started to play along. Then I tried to figure out harmonies which broke my guitar-playing completely apart :P
Well it was so much fun that I couldn't stop!
A big bonus: it's a very good training for your ears, for your guitar playing and even for your understanding of theory.
The chances that you have to leave out some notes are very high, though...

If I every join or form a band, I will cover one of their songs. I'm not a great guitar player, but my motivation for it is BIG TIME! 8)

anybody else had some simily experience?

Motz

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i'm trying to learn some coltrane stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

not sure i understand, you want to transcribe an "all vocal" piece of music to guitar?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Yes, I think that is what Motz is asking. Just like a song played on guitar, if you are trying to learn it by ear, you will listen to a short section and then "find" each note on your guitar. Of course, it is a little (or a lot) harder, because the vocal note will have a different sound quality than your guitar. But, it is basically the same process. One way to cheat would be to try to learn a vocal song where you have the sheet music - that way you could check to see if you are correct.

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Exactly, that's what I'm doing right now.
I don't know how far I can take this but we'll see
Basically I'm transcribing everythin besides vocal percussion (obviously...) and the lead voice (altough I will do the lead at the end)
It's a relatively simple song with "only" 5 voices (if you ignore octaves) so it should work.
If it goes well I will surely do another few songs. Maybe even play them at a birthday party, when everybody is in a better mood already :D
-> I think I'll stick to songs which I don't have the notes to, because I know my bad habits.. :roll:

(btw: altough I'm talking about transcribing, I've not written down a single note yet. Just played and figured out. Well I guess that's another bad habit of mine)

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote