Clear all

Electric guitars left in hot cars all day

21 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
12 K Views
(@lenie)
Topic starter  

I was hoping someone could answer a question for me. How bad would it be to leave an electric guitar in a hot car from about 8:30AM to 5:30PM one day a week? Would it hurt the guitar? I wouldn't leave it in direct sunlight (although there is no shade and the car would be), and I would cover it with something.

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me! :)

(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

I'm not an expert on this, but I wouldn't do it to my guitar.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I wouldn't do it to any guitar I own.

But if you absolutely have to, here's the steps I would take:
- loosen the strings some. Not so loose that the trem or bridge falls off, but maybe a couple of steps down(E->C or B).
- Make sure the guitar is in a case or gig bag. The case will slow down the rate of temperature change that the guitar experiences. Maybe wrap the case in a blanket (a light coloured one, if you leave it in the passenger compartment) to further slow the rate of change.
- Make sure it's in the trunk. It *should* not get as hot in there, due to there being no glass to act as a greenhouse. Plus it's less likely that some looser will break your window and steal your guitar.
- Park in the shade, or in an area that will be shaded during the hottest part of the day. Perhaps in a parking structure that has a roof. Or on the north side of a larger vehicle if that's the best you can do.
- After you take the guitar out of the car and move it indoors, leave it in the case for a few hours to allow the guitar to SLOWLY change temperature to match the room.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I just flat wouldn't do it.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I don't do it at all. Not in the summer heat nor winter cold, strings loosened or not. The wood expands and contracts, as do the strings and all the metal parts. Retuning is still going to not make it sound right, imo. Besides, I don't need to hear my truck alarm going off in the parking lot.

I have lessons on Wednesday at 6pm, after work. I strap the gig bag to my back and walk into the building. It sits in my cubicle all day. People ask or make typically stupid remarks: "Gonna serenade us?" (yes, I'm playing with the rest of the company band at the luncheon; didn't you get the e-mail?); "Do you play guitar?" (no, I'm just trying to look cool :roll: ).

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Rule of thumb: Don't leave your guitar anywhere you wouldn't leave yourself.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I never have, but have a friend who used to do this all the time. The guitar, which was an acoustic, eventually just came unglued. It was interesting, as I'd never seen all the pieces that make an acoustic guitar separate.

But, if this isn't your goal, I would find an alternative.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@lenie)
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone! I figured it was a bad idea, but was hoping it would be okay. I'll have to work something else out. :)

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

When you say "hot".... You talkin' northern Minnesota hot or Louisiana hot?

When you say "guitar".... You talkin' Gibson Les Paul Custom guitar or Starcaster by Fender guitar?

ReplyQuote
(@lenie)
Topic starter  

When you say "hot".... You talkin' northern Minnesota hot or Louisiana hot?

When you say "guitar".... You talkin' Gibson Les Paul Custom guitar or Starcaster by Fender guitar?

By hot, I mean Alabama hot. :) By guitar I mean a cheap Yamaha starter electric which is my only electric and therefore means a lot to me. :)

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

You'll get crazing all over the paint. I lived in Tucson for 20 years....so I well and truly understand "hot". Loosening strings won't help with the finish...glues...oil in the pegs. Besides...someone'll bust in and steal it.

Nope...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@lenie)
Topic starter  

So, what temperature is too hot? In the building where I work, it's still pretty hot. Not as hot as outside, but definitely not cool. Would that be bad too?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Try here for some info.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member

Along with dogs,pets and children,guitars should not be left alone in a hot vehicle! We had a thermomater in our back window,it got well above 140 degrees and shattered it.This can and probably will do some damage of some kind,wiring,and wood.Excessive heat can cause a neck to warp beyond repair.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

So, what temperature is too hot? In the building where I work, it's still pretty hot. Not as hot as outside, but definitely not cool. Would that be bad too?

I assume your plan is to take your guitar with you during the work day, so that you can go directly to a lesson after work?

Unless you work as a sauna tester, or a scuba diver then your normal work environment should be safe for your guitar during the day. Certainly more safe than leaving it in the car.

Same general precautions as I mentioned above, though:
Keep it in it's case, out of direct sunlight, and away from the view of un-trusted people.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2