Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

electric strings

25 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@rickyraveon)

I really like the hybrid slinkys .09-.46 on all my hardtails. Fender .10-.46 bullets on tremolos.

I've also used the standard tension fenders, which I seem to like a lot.

ReplyQuote
(@higglesworth)

I use Elixir lights on both my Strat and acoustic. They seem to last forever and feel great on the fingers.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Two things to remember about stainless steel strings: they last longer than nickel plated steel and they tear grooves in your frets fast!

I used D'Addario 11-49 EXL115 for years. Great strings and they are a sealed plastic container so no rusting before you get 'em out of the box. Further, it's nice they color-code the ball end of each string so you know which is which.

But for the past two years I've used DR Red Devil strings (11-50) which have a special coating to prevent premature string death. But, unfortunately, they cost 2-3 times as much as most ordinary electric strings.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

I use ernie balls, Super slinkys, the pink ones, they seem to be working well for me, and they last quite well. Never noted the gauge tbh, i just go into the shop and ask for pink ernie balls :D

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

I like the d'addario EXL110, .010 gauge, really nice sound and last a while although I usually change them every two months. Also great value if bought in sets of three.
I use the same strings myself. A friend of mine was using the dean markleys and switched to the d'addarios because he was looking for a brighter set of strings. I play them on my mex strat and they seem nice. Might want to check out several different types until you settle on something that you like. A set of strings is a relatively affordable investment in finding your tone.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@bdkauff)
Estimable Member

I just got some Dean Markley signatures that I love.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Dean Markey's ?I am curious about those. nickel wound? half round wound? stainless?
what kind, per favore.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@bdkauff)
Estimable Member

They're the signature nickelsteel's. They're actually my first set of electric strings, besides the stock ones that came on my std. Tele. I got them b/c Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead uses them :D They seem really responsive and warm, but still twangy and bright enough to bring out the best of that Tele sound. Mine are 10-46.

ReplyQuote
(@christopherius)
Trusted Member

I am a new convert to Ernie Ball Slinkies. I've got the Hybrid Slinkies (start at 0.09 gauge) on one guitar and the Regular Slinkies (0.10) on another. They are pretty cheap and feel and sound great.

ya i use the Hybrid Slinkies as well.

Chris
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo356/christopherius/th_FenderSig.jpg

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I use ernie balls, Super slinkys, the pink ones, they seem to be working well for me, and they last quite well. Never noted the gauge tbh, i just go into the shop and ask for pink ernie balls :D

David
9-42.

I'm in the process of playing out the old stock of strings and putting 10's on all the electrics. I currently have 9's on my Burns, 10's on my Strat and my cheapo Tele and 11's on my Washburn 335 clone.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2