Clear all

Epi LP100 VS Epi LP Standard

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@notyetnirvana)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Okay, 2 very similar guitars. Except £100 in price.

Could anyone tell me:
if the LP100 is a worthwhile guitar?
Is the extra £100 worth it for a standard?
Has anyone ever compared these two guitars by playing them?

I play thru a Behringer GMX 212, currently using a squier strat, ugh. Sounds a bit naff to be honest. I play anything from acousticy style rock to metal, depending on my mood, but I really want a guitar for harder, distorted rock, ie punk(real punk) or metal, so im guessing a LP would be a good choice.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

"Me... In a Nuclear Power Plant?...... KABOOM! Hahahaha!" - Homer Simpson in Highschool.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

There are some fundamental difference between the two like a set neck, covered pickups, maple top (standard) vs. a bolt on, open pickups, no maple (100). It can be argued that the differences don't make much of a difference except minor changes in sound and appearance but which one you like better is really up to you.

I have however noticed that the standard is kind of the beginning of the higher end and for some reason the quality seems better. My opinion is solely based on looking inside a few electronics cavities on each and the wiring seemed much better and the cavity was cleaner on the standards.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I have however noticed that the standard is kind of the beginning of the higher end and for some reason the quality seems better. My opinion is solely based on looking inside a few electronics cavities on each and the wiring seemed much better and the cavity was cleaner on the standards.

Duh!!!! :lol:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Duh!!!! :lol:

And then after I rinsed them out with the garden hose and wire brushed everything it was even better :twisted:

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

IMO i think the $100 difference is well worth it for the jump in quality and construction you get. That set neck is alot better than the bolt-on

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

IMO i think the $100 difference is well worth it for the jump in quality and construction you get. That set neck is alot better than the bolt-on
Actually I agree with you but was just trying to say the same thing without leading. I do believe between the 2 the standard is the best choice.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If you can afford the LP std, just go and get a Dean Evo Special Select. LP-body, all mahony, dual humbuckers with splitting, very comfortable neck, low action, great sound. Can't speak highly enough of it, and it is just as expensive as the Epi LP std. Check it out if you can.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

The other one to try is the Yamaha AES 420. Same specs as the Dean.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote