Skip to content
Epiphone AJ-1 Acous...

Notifications
Clear all

Epiphone AJ-1 Acoustic Guitar sounds excellent!

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Musicians Friend recently had the Epiphone AJ-1 Acoustic Guitar on the "Stupid deal of the day" for $79.00! I recently sold my Walden acoustic/elect., so I had been watching for another acoustic replacement. When I saw this deal, I just had to jump on it. It arrived today, & other than a bit of string buzz on a couple frets that needs to be adjusted, this thing is incredible!

I am absolutely blown away by the tone of this guitar. All solid wood, beautiful design, rich dark back wood, love the headstock, chrome tuners...I am quickly becoming an Epiphone fan. Plus, I recently;y played an Epiphone prophecy solid body that had the best sounding "growly" pickups. I didn't get that one, as I have quite a collection of "axes" already! :mrgreen:

But again, this acoustic is definantly the "cat's meow". Now my fingers will be getting a good workout. When I get the time, I will have to start posting in the "Show your gear" section.

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I have an Epi Aj-1 also that I got from crank-n-jam's auction he was having awhile back. I agree, very nice guitar. Have fun. 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I'll have to post some pics of it when I get a chance. The only thing I kinda dislike about a "full" acoustic body is not being able to reach the top frets. I seem to like the "cutaway" models better. I was browsing the low end Epi electric solid bodies;

Anyone have any experience with the Epiphone Les Paul Special II Electric Guitar or the Epiphone LP-100? Was wondering how they sound/played for a cheap guitar? The prophecy I played was a $500 model, & as I mentioned, the pickups were very good, I really liked the sound. Actually, that model featured "EpiActive Pickups" a mix between pass/active pickups, with a pull of one of the knobs.

Pretty cool, I think I may end up putting it on my wish list! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've got two Epiphones and like them both. I've played some pretty impressive sounding "cheap" accoustics in stores with Spruce tops before too.

I can't find the Prophecys around here. I've been curious about http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-CustomGX-with-Dirty-Fingers-Pickups-Electric-Guitar?sku=515617

Congrats on your new, cheap find. It sounds like it's already worth more to you than you paid. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote