Notifications
Clear all

Epiphone Les Paul's

34 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

One other company is Tokai, a Japanese company, you might find a very good copy second hand somewhere.

Oh and I think the Joe Perry is topping the Black Beauty these days, but you're getting up in the range of the Epi Elites at that point.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

IMO epiphone les pauls are good.Try before you buy ,that's it.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

The other side of the coin is that if you are planning to take it to a local pub, either the Epiphone LP Special II or it's Vintage equivalent would do. Laminate or poplar bodies and bolt-on necks, but in a pub, it's not going to matter.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I've seen quite a few LP copies in my time... here are a list of some manufacturers and general pricing (US) - most are available on Ebay, although I don't know if they are availabe in the UK.

Epiphone - agreed that you should stay away from the entry level ones - I suggest the LP Classic or higher $340 - $800
Agile - as stated on this board, look great for the money. Never tried one $199 - 600
SX - also as stated on this board. I've tried the strats and teles and they seem well built $150 - $30
Michael Kelly - Newer company based in Florida. Made in Korea. VERY NICE. Priced around $350
ESP - They have a few models, I think they are called the "EC" models. Anyway - nice, and the upper models have USA Seymour Duncans. $400 - $1000
Hamer - they make an import version of the Gibson Double-Cut - and a VERY nice one at that. Can be had new for $400, or used on ebay for $200 - 250
PRS - they have some entry-level import single-cut versions. The Tremonti is one. You'll pay around $600

There are certainly others, including the Yamaha mentioned here, but I haven't tried them.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I love my Epi LP custom. Sweet sound and easy to play. Heavy is only negative, but it's not unbearable.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I also have an Epi LP Custom that I stand by. Well fitted, easy to play, and sounds great but maybe I just got a good one. I also had an Epi LP Special II when I was deciding if I wanted to get back into electric and it played well but did need a little work when I first got it. I went with the Epi since they look most like the original Gibson's.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

Might also want to check out harmonycentral.com for reviews on the guitars you're considering. Might just want to go to a music store and try several different guitars on for size to see what feels good and what kind of sound you like.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@jg8804)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Have to say, the epi lp custom sounds nice and for 400 english notes, big possibility.

Unfortunately in the shop i work we dont deal gibsons that often, and the ones we do get in are simply ordered speacially for customers. We have a few LP copies but they are cheap entry level guitars which im definately not looking for.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

I suppose it really depends on what you're after. It could be:
A. The sound - there are a lot of 2 humbucker guitars out there, and even something like that ibanez strat mentioned before would do.

B. The look - obviously, the epiphone wins here.

C. The feel - doesn't have to be an epiphone, but an ibanez strat certainly wouldn't feel like a Les Paul.

ReplyQuote
(@jg8804)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Good news, i am gonna be able to buy it at trade price, infact, any guitar i want i get for the price the shop gets so thats basically over 50% of standard R.R.P :D

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

IMO If you want a decent LesPaul but cant afford a Gibson then Epiphone is definately the way to go.The Tokai models are good but they cost almost as much as Gibson.The cheaper Gibsons are best left alone you'd be better off spending the extra £300 on a decent amp. If you want something with humbeckers on check out the Fender Toranado Iv'e just bought one and it sounds awesome not brilliant for lead work but as an allrounder its superb.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

bobblehat,

you stole my guitar and are using it as your avatar, lol.

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Epi's are good guitars. They mainly get a bad rap by brand snobs.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

bobblehat,

you stole my guitar and are using it as your avatar, lol.

"Its mine I tell yer! all mine!"

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If you can buy at trade, then consider either the Epi Elitist LP or, my favourite (of all) LPs - the Gibson Smartwood ( http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/lespaul/smartwood-exotics.html ).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3