Notifications
Clear all

Epiphone

46 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Gibson is butter and Epiphone is margarine. Margarine is cheaper and sometimes better for you. Often, it also tastes almost like butter. So it substitutes the real thing quite well. But every once in a while, you just have to have the fattening stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Can't really make a blanket statement about a model line up that ranges from $150 through $1000+.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I played a bunch of Epi Lp's at the local GC, I wasn't impressed. All but one sounded completely dead when played unplugged. ALL of them looked like the control knobs were attached by monkies. They wobbled back and fourth as you turned them, and most of them actually ground into the top and made gashes.

There's this violin burst Artcore Ibanez AG-85 or something I might buy, though.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@sito71)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Just stumbled onto this...looks like quite a deal!!!...never seen any genuine Les Paul for this cheap brand new...anyone know anything about this one?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=517279

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I'd be a little weary of that guitar to tell you the truth. It does seem rather low for a Les Paul, and being a true Gibson. On the other hand though, Gibson do make a Faded SG Special that I have been looking at for quite sometime. I think its about $650-700 online. I've heard a lot of good reviews about it. Many the Les Paul is the same. But I doubt it would be the same as a higher priced one.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It's a "special" - slab-front body, with no cap, parallel to the Epi Special.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@amnesia)
Trusted Member

Meateallihead - like rparker says, you can't make a blanket statement on a range that goes from cheap to expensive.
I agree - I don't like the LPs as much. However, you are advised to get new pots and pickups on purchase...
My Sheraton (which was second hand) is beautiful, everything works smoothly and I've never been happier. I will be upgrading the pickups soon though. Then you have the Heritage - Maybe you want to check them out?

//--Amnesia--

Gutiars: Sheraton II | Yamaha APX-7A | Taylor 510CE-LTD
Equipment: Hiwatt 40 Amp | Switch Pedal | Zoom 200 FX Pedal
Piano: Roland 236

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

The Les Paul SL is a flat-top (not carved) set neck guitar with no binding, but real Gibson pups, etc. To be quite honest, if you are looking at that guitar, you should look at the Faded SG. The only difference between the faded SG and the SG Standard is the shiny topcoat. I have the Faded brown SG and it is a great guitar.

New Faded SGs are $679 at GC.

Also, take a look at Les Pauls on ebay. The Studio Standards (regularly $800 - 1200) can be had for $600 - 800 in good condition - usually with a hard case (the studios usually come with a gigbag).

In addition, Musician's Friend sells a mahogany carved top LP with trap inlays and case for $899 NEW. This guitar also has Burstbuckers. Pretty good deal for a carved top Les Paul.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=517536

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

man...now I want a guiness and a les paul.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

man...now I want a guiness and a les paul.

That would be heaven!

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I meant to mention the Les Paul Vintage Mahogany too. It sold very well on Musicians Friend when it first came on. It's a great price. Check it out.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Meateallihead - like rparker says, you can't make a blanket statement on a range that goes from cheap to expensive.
I agree - I don't like the LPs as much. However, you are advised to get new pots and pickups on purchase...
My Sheraton (which was second hand) is beautiful, everything works smoothly and I've never been happier. I will be upgrading the pickups soon though. Then you have the Heritage - Maybe you want to check them out?
Don't mistake what I say as railing against all Epi's, just all the standard LP's I played were crap is all. When I was shopping for a hollowbody I looked at Epi, too, and they were better. The LP's just seem like they're rushed cause of the production demand.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@amnesia)
Trusted Member

It's okay Metaellihead, I didn't mistake it :)
However, you should give the Heritage or Sheraton a try?

//--Amnesia--

Gutiars: Sheraton II | Yamaha APX-7A | Taylor 510CE-LTD
Equipment: Hiwatt 40 Amp | Switch Pedal | Zoom 200 FX Pedal
Piano: Roland 236

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

what about the epi elitist lp custom listed at MF currently at $800? (wine red)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=518403
american made tuners,pups,switches. premium wood.

anybody ever plug one of these in?
seems like a pretty good deal on a high QC'd epi lp.
also are the elitist lp's currently made in korea or china, or somewhere else? anyone?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Elitists are only made in Japan.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4