Clear all

Excess Gear

24 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Starting to feel I have more gear than I know what to do with. Which is sad when I don't have nearly as much stuff as most people on here. Let me explain, my first amp was some off-brand. No matter how much you turned the gain up, nothing. No distortion, it was as clean as the clean channel. I was between jobs at the time so the solution? A distortion pedal. I then upgraded to a 15 watt Crate, which did have a distortion channel that worked but still didn't compare to the gritt of the pedal. Then I got my 50W Randall tube amp, which has all the distortion I need without a pedal. So the pedal doesn't get touched much.

It's the same thing with my Squier Stratocaster. My Jaguar does everything the Strat does, and then some. So now, I have no reason to play it either. It's kinda frustrating because I feel like I'm wasting money. Am I the only one with 'obsolete' gear? How does everyone find use for all their cool junk?

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I don't use everything I have every day. However, certain days bring out certain moods and certain attitudes towards certain instruments. So somedays I pick up my PRS and some days I pick up my Strat. I even play drums sometimes, too.

So if you find you'll never play it again, then it goes on the sales agenda.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Well, I could store some of that "junk" for you, if you like.
Y'know, just to help out, and make you feel better. :wink:

But seriously, folks...

It sounds like you are on the road to "your sound", and some of the items which were steps on that road aren't needed any more.

No shame in that.

You might cull your collection if you don't feel any particular attachment to some of that older stuff. Perhaps trade some things in on other gear that moves you closer to your ultimate sound goal.

On the other hand, it's not a bad plan to have a backup guitar, or spare amp if you are gigging.

--edit--
Oh, yeah. You just got that Jag, didn't you?
That means your other guitars are going to get lonely for a while. You'll still probably pick up the Strat occasionally, once the Jag isn't your "new toy" and becomes part "another part of the family".

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I sold my Squire strat to a friend when I got my Gibson Les Paul, and my old Carlo Robelli I keep to lend out to students/friends that I'm teaching. (Wish I had done the same weith my Strat)

My old Crate 15W amp I gave back to guitar center for like 20 bucks...Don't see the point in keeping around inferior gear.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Just keep it and wait till you find a use for it. Cheap overdrive pedals work great on synths, and running an organ into a guitar amp can sound wicked as well.

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Extra gear is nice for when friends stop by your house, you can jam. Its bad cuz sometimes they will want to borrow your stuff. But you can always say no.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Hang your extra guitar/s up on the wall for decoration.

They look awesome! :D

I know I sold my first guitar as it was just inferior to the other I had gotten and sat there gathering dust. Better to get some cash for it than just have it take up space needlessly.

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I agree with everyone. keep your gear. you will have an idea someday and will want to use it.
having a backup guitar is important . and, if you want to mess with tunings having a couple of guitars designated is really useful.
and, think trade in when buying yet another guitar.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

Hang your extra guitar/s up on the wall for decoration.

They look awesome! :D

I know I sold my first guitar as it was just inferior to the other I had gotten and sat there gathering dust. Better to get some cash for it than just have it take up space needlessly.

Pete

That's what I did. I even pull them down and play them occassionally.

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Smash'em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Throw the pedal up in the air and crank it with the strat.

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

and post pictures!!!! :lol:

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

OMG - LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I agree with jimh....pictures or even vids. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Actually Mike has an idea here, OWA, keep all that extra gear and when you do your first public gig, bring that with you and then at the end throw the pedal up in the air and give it a whack with the guitar...heck of a way to end the show....and if you don't want to swing atthe pedal just go ahead and smash the guitar on stage...now that's Rock n Roll baby!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

Keep the extra guitar. Like somebody said, when friends come over you'll have a loaner to hand them.

Also, you can keep the extra guitar in a different tuning. It's handy to be able to leave a guitar in an oddball tuning to work on a song and keep your main instrument tuned standard so you're not retuning all the time.

Actually, you need at minimum five guitars. You need your main guitar which you keep in standard tuning, a Strat tuned down a half step for working on Hendrix or SRV songs or just for when your hands are tired and need a break, a third electric to keep in some other oddball tuning, a good acoustic, and a lousy acoustic you can sweat all over for playing in the back yard in the summer.

This is how I'm explaining this all to my wife, BTW....

ReplyQuote
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member

Im using a similar argument with my wife, also adding that I could leave one to each of my 5 kids. Its not working so far, im only up to 3 (2 decent elec and 1 cheapo acoustic)......................and today an Ibanez catalogue arrived in the post to stoke the GAS furnace a bit more.

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2